Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? A Norwegian "car toon" -- "Asphalt Burning (Børning 3)"
- Movie Review: There's little redeeming about "Redemption Day"
- Netflixable? "100% Halal," a soapy, almost edgy dramedy from Islamic Indonesia
- Movie Review: A Deadly, Panicked Police Shooting, the definition of "Blindfire"
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Netflixable? For the love of a woman, he makes "L'ascension (The Climb)" up Everest
- Movie Review: An unhappy Silverstone is "Sister of the Groom"
- Documentary Review: Netflix's "One of Us" exposes the horrors of escaping Hasidism
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Movie Review: Neeson narrows his beady eyes as "The Marksman"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: March 30, 2013
We had a hint of what might come in “Tropic Thunder.” But Matthew McConaughey’s “run” didn’t kick off until “The Lincoln Lawyer.” Since then, there was “Bernie,” solid work in support of Jack Black, and “Killer Joe,” an under-appreciated performance … Continue reading
Equal parts dark and comically disturbing, “The Brass Teapot” is a fantasy parable for our times, a film that literally equates pain with greed. A car wreck is how it begins. Alice (Juno Temple) is forever job hunting, that degree … Continue reading
He’s one of the hottest standup tickets out there, and his first theatrical concert film, “Laugh at My Pain,” was a surprise hit. How Kevin Hart’s back with “Let Me Explain.” He’s got half a dozen films in the hopper, … Continue reading
His last few movies have seriously underperformed and his star is fading. So what has the 40something Jim Carrey done? He’s gone and injected himself into the gun debate. Intemperate language about the NRA (which, truthfully, deserves it), and this … Continue reading
“The Croods” is turning into Dreamworks’ version of “Oz,” a family-friendly hit with legs. It’s headed towards a $30 million+ second weekend at the box office. That’s only down 30% or so from last weekend and it gives Fox an … Continue reading
Mark Wahlberg does well by buddy pictures, and while “Pain & Gain” seems to qualify as this year’s model, with both Anthony Mackie and Dwayne Johnson as “buddies,” there’s also “Two Guns,” which pairs Wahlberg up with Denzel Washington in … Continue reading
The cinema’s leading purveyor of Southern Gothic, Jeff Nichols, hands Matthew McConaughey his latest tour de force turn in “Mud,” a down and dirty if entirely-too-long melodrama in the “Tobacco Road” tradition. Nichols (“Shotgun Stories,” “Take Shelter”) has cooked up … Continue reading