Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "Jungle Cruise" Loses its Way
- Movie Review: Trapped in a maze, doomed to "Meander"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: Another tale of "Payback," lamer than all the rest
- Movie Review: "Rage" rage at this pokey thriller from Down Under
- Documentary Review: "Searching for Mr. Rugoff," remembering an art film icon
- Movie Review: To collect Sarandon's inheritance, Jake Johnson must "Ride the Eagle"
- Movie Preview: Jennifer Hudson is defiant, proud and Aretha demanding "Respect"
- Netflixable? Filipino Woman fights back when she becomes "The Girl with a Gun (Babae at Baril)"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: June 2018
There’s a moment, early in the tense French divorce drama “Custody,” when you feel sorry for Antoine, the husband. He’s sitting in mediation, a lawyer at his side, making his case, a judge hearing it, and his ex-wife and … Continue reading
A record breaking summer at the box office slacks off a tad this weekend with “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” plunging over 60%, even though it might stake claim to another $59 million, Deadline.com claims. The Friday to Friday drop was … Continue reading
Preview, Caine, Courtenay, Gambon, Broadbent and Winstone are capering geezers (with Charlie Cox) in “King of Thieves””
This trailer is as self-explanatory as any in theaters these days. “The King of Thieves” opens Sept. 18…in the U.K.
A London rom-com about a sad woman (Rose Byrne) in a dull relationship (With Chris O’Dowd? How is this possible?) who then meets, via a flaming review of her sig other’s FAVORITE indie rock icon (Ethan Hawke) said icon and … Continue reading
Julia is just a sex kitten pickpocket, working the lurid clubs and working “it” for a few shekels a night, before heading home to her industrial dump of a loft. Then she’s abducted, trussed up like Hannibal Lecter at his … Continue reading
Mob mugs are the same the world over. Overdressing, standing around, eating Italian food, bickering about it. Even in Israel. “Maktub” is a dark Israeli comedy about sadistic thugs with style, “Master Chef” fans, the foodies Steve and Chuma. They … Continue reading
“Sicario” was a movie that needed no sequel. It set up a quest, twisted and turned — with shocking moments of violence — until that quest was at an end. Like too few action pictures these days, it gave us … Continue reading
I loved the borderlands hitman thriller “Sicario,” and I’m not alone. It has this meandering but compact narrative, brutal violence meted out by brutish men, the queasy unease it gives you about government sanctioned mayhem and a devilish … Continue reading
Preview, Cate Blanchett and Jack Black bring kid-friendly frights in “The House with a Clock in its Walls”
Remember “Goosebumps?” Yeah, Jack Black’s all about the kid-friendly horror genre. Got to start them off somewhere. This time, he’s paired up with Oscar winner Cate Blanchett for a film based on Eric Kripke’s novel, “The House With a Clock … Continue reading
Good romantic comedies remain Hollywood’s most elusive unicorns, and maybe there’s a reason for that. Maybe it’s a thesis put forth in “Playing It Cool,” a mediocre, gimmicky 2015 romantic comedy that featured a star-studded supporting cast, some cute characters, … Continue reading