Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Another chess match to save the world, "The Coldest Game"
- The song Jim Carrey does a wicked dance to in "Sonic the Hedgehog"
- Movie Review: "Sonic the Hedgehog," how bad can it be?
- Netflixable? Germans "Isi & Ossi" hunt for laughs on the way to romance
- Movie Review: So who's the "Parasite" here?
- Movie Review: "Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made"
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Movie Review: Blumhouse finds the dark side of "Fantasy Island"
- Netflixable? "Jarhead: Law of Return"
- Movie Review: Passion and painting a "Portrait of a Lady on Fire"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: February 2020
It is, in many ways, the Original Hate Crime, Conspiracy Theory Number One. The fact that it hasn’t gone away suggests that AntiSemitism is the hate crime that can evolve, mutate to match the conditions and shift in groups that … Continue reading
It took a four day weekend and a video game that a lot of people grew up with and took their children to see on the big screen to do it. But “Sonic the Hedgehog” breaks the Curse of Video … Continue reading
“Fronteras” is a stunningly stupid, talky, meandering Border Patrol thriller set in Arizona, a movie that sets itself up as a war of wills between a righteous Mexican-American agent and the racist, rogue “Ends Justify the Means” special team that … Continue reading
What’s the best way to make your C-movie instantly awful? Open it with this line in voice-over. “The lengths we go to for family are infinitely immeasurable.” Kids, “infinite” is by definition “immeasurable.” “Emerald Run” is the oddest action picture … Continue reading
“Portrait of a Lady on Fire” is a sumptuous period piece about passion, feminine independence and painting set in a world of bustles and bodices and ladies wearing Empire waist. Like the process of portrait painting it depicts, it’s a … Continue reading
Another version of “The Most Dangerous Game” with “liberal elites” hunting “red state conservatives” for sport. It was delayed after assorted gun nut mass shootings last year. “Conservative” elites? It’ll dominate Fox “news” coverage in March. Betcha money. Film critics … Continue reading
A robust holiday weekend at the box office is mostly due to video game nostalgia as “Sonic the Hedgehog” pulls in kids, parents and sentimental gamers. A decent Thursday night and a big Friday point to a total of $55-$60 … Continue reading
“Fantasy Island” is showing in a Florida beach town cinema filled with retirees. It doesn’t matter that they don’t know from “Blumhouse,” and have no idea what they’re in for. This is the way it meant to be seen, not … Continue reading
Silly Germans. Don’t they know only Judd Apatow can get away with a comedy with a two hour run time? And even he only pulls it off every third or fourth movie. “Isi & Ossi” is an old fashioned screwball … Continue reading