Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? French comedy "Spoiled Brats (Pourris gâtés)" doesn't "Teach them a lesson"
- Netflixable? Sad to say, "Father Christmas Is Back"
- Netflixable? Brazil's "Just Short of Perfect" tries to transcend "shorty" jokes
- Netflixable? "Holly Star" tries to put the "cute" back in Christmas comedy
- Movie Review: A murder unsolved, a romance tested -- "The Violent Heart"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Netflixable? A critical piece of "erased" history -- "The Chickasaw Rancher"
- Netflixable? "Swingers" in Spain? "More the Merrier (Donde Caben Dos)"
- Netflixable? Gay, back home in New Hampshire and "Single all the Way"
- Of Cage and "Pig" and the "Northern Exposure" connection -- Adam Arkin
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: August 2020
A ghost story, a little horror from Netflix, which hasn’t made much of mark in the genre.
“Critical Thinking” is a cluttered, cliched and ungainly story about disadvantaged kids becoming a formidable chess team under the tutelage of a teacher/coach who “won’t give up on them.” It’s the feature directing debut of star John Leguizamo, who plays … Continue reading
There are worse labels a filmmaker could pursue that “That old softie.” That’s Brett Haley’s niche. The director of “The Hero” and “Hearts Beat Loud” serves up another slice of sentiment with “All Together Now,” a high school “It’s a … Continue reading
The old showbiz maxim “Always leave’em begging for more” is pushed beyond its limits in “Mambo Man,” a perfectly charming and utterly predictable Cuban dramedy that is over entirely too soon. It’s about a Cuban entrepreneur, a pig and tomato … Continue reading
Documentary Preview: Netflix’s “The Social Dilemma” points a spotlight on the dark side of online algorithms
Per @ERCboxoffice) “WB’s TENET scored a massive $53M debut internationally this weekend, in 41 territories and 20,000+ screens. TOP MARKETS UK ($7.1M) FRA ($6.7M) KOR ($5.1M) GER ($4.2M) https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1300124719178371072?s=20
“The New Mutants,” shelved even before Fox made it an orphaned film by selling out to Disney, became a classic “late August release when The Mouse took custody. Dumped in theaters this weekend, a last gasp of X Men rebooted … Continue reading
Yes, it is now Disney+’s “Mulan.” The live-action remake of the animated musical (made in Orlando) based on a Chinese folk legend was headed to theaters, seemed sure to be the blockbuster of the summer, and then Wuhan Don’s blunders … Continue reading
“Unknown Origins” (Spanish title “Orígenes secretos”) plays like the penultimate draft of a mash-up of “Se7en” and “Kick-Ass,” a not-quite-there script that Netflix let its Spanish division put before the cameras. Co-writer/director David Galán Galindo, who also wrote the book … Continue reading
“Entwined” is a moody, handsomely-mounted modern day Greek folk tale that never quite finds the urgency or suspense to lure us in. It’s about a beautiful, mysterious woman (Anastasia Rafaella Konidi) who lives in the woods, and the new doctor … Continue reading