Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Gawain is tested by "The Green Knight"
- Movie Preview: "A Savage Nature" is a "true story" mass murder drama
- Movie Review: Trapped in a maze, doomed to "Meander"
- Movie Preview: Jennifer Hudson is defiant, proud and Aretha demanding "Respect"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: "Jungle Cruise" Loses its Way
- Netflixable? JCVD goes "Oui, oui Wheeeee" as "The Last Mercenary"
- Movie Review: "First Signal" ruins that moment when the aliens "phone home"
- Movie Review: Korean diplomats try to "Escape from Mogadishu"
- Movie Review: Another tale of "Payback," lamer than all the rest
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: January 2020
Is there any point at all in reviewing an “in his own words” documentary biography of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas? Visit Metacritic or Rottentomatoes and you can pretty much guess who will pan “Created Equal: Clarence Thomas in His … Continue reading
This is how a fellow gets a reputation. You review a Netflix movie, “My Teacher, My Obsession.” Yeah, you know what it’s about. But hey, any chance one gets to toss the phrase “Hot for Teacher” into a review, right? … Continue reading
It’s quite late in the game for Taylor Swift to be expecting anybody to change his or her opinion about Swift as a performer, celebrity, icon and influencer. But this new documentary takes its shot, a somewhat revealing distillation of … Continue reading
Ok, maybe not NEXT next. Got to get to that Tay Tay Swift doc on Netflix, after all. But soon, very soon I’ll get to this indie drama with largely unknown cast, a take of a high school teacher falling … Continue reading
Failed comic moves home and gets inspiration from an alcoholic dermatologist. Because Billy Crystal’s mother always wanted a doctor in the family? “Standing Up, Falling Down” earns limited release in mid February.
The thing that bowls you over, straight off, about “Gretel & Hansel” is how beautiful the damned thing is. Art director Christine McDonagh (TV’s “Into the Badlands”), production designer Jeremy Reed (“Hard Candy”) and lighting cinematographer Galo Olivares (“Roma”) have … Continue reading
Stewart is a concert pianist coping with stage fright, Holmes is a “agree spirited music critic” who helps him cope. Giancarlo Esposito also stars in “Coda.”
Ever been to a fan convention? Comic-Con, MegaCon, SuperCon or “Star Wars Celebration?” “Surviving” it takes a lot more than stamina and an ability to ignore strong BO, I tell you what. Here’s a doc that goes beyond the “Big … Continue reading
“VFW” is a spatter film, a “Hobo With a Shotgun” meets “From Dusk Til Dawn.” It’s built on that “Fort Apache/Zulu/Assault on Precinct 13” formula that most zombie and more than a few vampire onslaughts use as a template. Pack … Continue reading
How much is “too much” to reveal in a movie review? Ordinarily, you relate just enough of the plot and characters to set the story in motion, and everything else is value judgements — how good the acting, writing, production … Continue reading