Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "Jungle Cruise" Loses its Way
- Movie Review: Trapped in a maze, doomed to "Meander"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: Another tale of "Payback," lamer than all the rest
- Movie Review: "Rage" rage at this pokey thriller from Down Under
- Documentary Review: "Searching for Mr. Rugoff," remembering an art film icon
- Netflixable? Filipino Woman fights back when she becomes "The Girl with a Gun (Babae at Baril)"
- Movie Review: To collect Sarandon's inheritance, Jake Johnson must "Ride the Eagle"
- Movie Preview: Jennifer Hudson is defiant, proud and Aretha demanding "Respect"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: January 2016
Third film in the franchise, shoved into January because of diminishing expectations (though reviews weren’t awful). “Kung Fu Panda 3” is dining out on the lack of suitable kiddie fare at the box office, with families pouring $40 million into … Continue reading
Is it a spoiler to refer to the coda of thriller “The Boy” as the clumsiest cop out in recent horror history? Never mind. That goes for the movie as well, a tepid tale of elderly Brits, the Heelshires (Diana … Continue reading
“The Finest Hours” is a ripping good seafaring yarn based on a famous shipwreck and the Coast Guardsmen who undertook the “suicide mission” to rescue the survivors. It’s old fashioned in all the right ways, built on Chris Pine’s most … Continue reading
With all the sins one can lay at the feet of “Dirty Grandpa,” here’s one that won’t stick — false advertising. It’s exactly what the title portrays it to be — “Grandpa” Robert DeNiro, as potty-mouthed, oversexed and politically incorrect … Continue reading
One selling point for the “Shane” inspired Western “Forsaken” might be the pairing of father and son Donald and Kiefer Sutherland, working together for only the third time in their respective careers. Then there’s Kiefer, playing a reformed gunman/Civil War … Continue reading
The storm impacting much of the East put a damper on “Dirty Grandpa,” “The Boy” and “The Fifth Wave.” None of those lesser (January–low expectation) new releases will have earned more than $10 million by midnight Sunday. “Grandpa” has a … Continue reading
Well, here’s Michael Caine throwing a little shade — or at least some perspective — on the whole #OscarsSoWhite/#whiteOscars/#boycottOscars dust up. “You can’t vote for an actor because he’s black” is the pull-quote that folks are fixating on for maximum … Continue reading
Young Adults save the world in so much of the fiction aimed at Young Adults. And when this science fiction comes to the big screen, YA fiction becomes PYA, full of PYTs. It’s a future where the boys have peach … Continue reading
Well, it’s no “Inside/Out.” The first animated offering from the brain of Charlie Kaufman (“Being John Malkovich”) started life as a play about the mechanical banality of modern existence, and perhaps the emptiness of narcissism. So naturally the fellow who … Continue reading