Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Documentary Review: "#AnneFrank -- Parallel Stories" on Netflix
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? Over-achieving teen takes on "The F**k-It List"
- Netflixable? Nigerian "Last Flight to Abuja" covers the disaster pic checklist
- Movie Review: A comet kills...selectively and "Only"
- Movie Review: "Between Shadow and Soul," a silent remake of "The Third Wife"
- Netflixable? "High Strung Free Dance"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: June 2019
In a previous life in newspapering, I’d often profile stand-up comics, sometimes hanging out with them between sets at a local club. They’d give ruthless, off-the-record play-by-play commentary on the other comics as they went through their routines. And when … Continue reading
Actually, $17 means The Beatles musical outperformed projections, which had it only scaring up $14 million on its opening weekend. No “Lonely Hearts Club Band” laments for that one, indifferent reviews or not. “Annabelle Comes Home” hit its mark of … Continue reading
An Oscar winner is protesting big oil’s involvement with Britain’s most esteemed theatre company. He doesn’t just play men of principle on stage and screen. https://t.co/KNjIydsMw7
The trailwrs to this one have delighted from the first, which aired during the Super Bowl? Am I remembering that right? They changed their release date, moving into Jason Statham Territory — August, shark movie season. Still looks like fun.
There’s not a lot of novelty to the “angry kid masters battle rap” formula. But give the rappers British street accents, dropping consonants like they drop rhymes, and you’ve got something worth hearing out. Even if, you know, you have … Continue reading
The first cool image of “Cold Blood” comes after “the girl” has had her snowmobile accident, after she’s crawled, battered and bleeding-out, towards a remote cabin. Feet come up to her, and from her point of view, looking up from … Continue reading
Interesting. “Free” is always better than paid subscriptions, but some streamers are looking for a ot business models for delivering video content. From The LA Times The online video giant is pivoting away from the subscription streaming marketplace. https://t.co/vtic4c9VEh https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1144985138079698945?s=17
The continued demand for “Toy Story 4” seems strong enough, until you compare it to other “Toy Story” movies and Pixar releases in general. A $120 million opening that was well below projections is followed by a $53-57 million second … Continue reading
Thrillers are a genre best served in the fall. A very British mystery thriller, with a cast experienced enough to know how to do it properly. Ian McKellen’s “Gods and Monsters” and “Mr. Holmes” director Bill Condon was behind the … Continue reading
“Riverdale” star Camila Mendes shares the screen with Adriana Barraza, a screen veteran best known north of the border for her role in Sam Raimi’s “Drag Me to Hell.” “Coyote Lake” hits theaters Aug. 2.