Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Sniper comes home to MMA challenges, "Blackbear"
- Netflixable? Is any "Marriage Story" honestly like this?
- Netflixable? Scorsese's eulogy for "The Irishman"
- Netflixable? French dancers "Step up" for "Let's Dance"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Documentary Review: "No Safe Spaces" smirks through conservative "free speech" victimhood
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Documentary Review: Surfing twins take on the world and the big waves, "And Two if By Sea: The Hobgood Brothers"
- Movie Review: A step to down to "Jumanji: The Next Level"
- Movie Review: "Frozen 2" melts down
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: December 2019
If you’ve seen the movie, you don’t have to ask which one. From The Hollywood Reporter. “Lionsgate is leaning into the popularity of @ChrisEvans’ cozy, white cable-knit sweater in #KnivesOut” https://t.co/co3wmlQ93C https://twitter.com/THR/status/1204690566665113601?s=20
The air of “played” hangs over “Jumanji: The Next Level,” a sequel that flails and flogs the premise that “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” so funny to death. It’s not the folks stuck inside a video game idea that … Continue reading
She is a tiny woman, white-haired, hard of hearing and stooped with age. When the film crew checks in with her, Marthe Cohn is about to turn 96 (she’s 99 now), long-retired from nursing and the medical research assistant work … Continue reading
Netflixable? “Christmas Survival” or “Surviving Christmas with the Relatives,” Brits bollix another holiday comedy
Why do the British hate Christmas so much? Is it their anti-Catholic thing, the culture’s sturdy and vigorous undercurrent of atheism? Or maybe the better question is WHEN did they start hating Christmas? Is it because they’re sick of the … Continue reading
As the various holiday-themed trailers that have come out this past week or three have demonstrated, Universal and the cast are selling the hell out of this holiday sequel. A “soft opening” in China may be behind that. Fear that … Continue reading
Documentary Review: Surfing twins take on the world and the big waves, “And Two if By Sea: The Hobgood Brothers”
I’ve seen and reviewed a lot of surf documentaries over the decades, but “And Two if By Sea: The Hobgood Brothers” stands out from the pack in two important regards. One is the degree to which it dives into the … Continue reading
In total agreement with the various pieces around the web about this Golden Globes snub. Natalie Portman pointed it out in reading off the “all male nominees” list o the telecast this morning. Three or four women directors were worth … Continue reading
In November of 1957, the biggest gathering of mob bosses in Mafia history took place in tiny Apalachin, New York. Every Big Name in La Cosa Nostra showed up in upstate New York — some 60 mob bosses from across … Continue reading