Top Posts & Pages
- Concert Doc Review -- "Dave Chapelle: The Closer"
- Netflixable? Dutch, Germans, Brits and Canadians live through "The Forgotten Battle"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Movie Review: Bullying's not a joke to a High School "Runt"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: Trapped, with escape the only "Antidote"
- Bingeworthy? Danes face terror, and personal reckonings for it "When the Dust Settles"
- Movie Review -- "SAS: Red Notice," as bad as action films get
- Movie Review: Vergara and Manganiello face the "Bottom of the Ninth"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: April 2016
Damn. That’s on the money. Emma Stone as Billie Jean King and Steve Carrell as Bobby Riggs? The middle of the Glory Days of American Tennis, and a tennis match that turned into the Shot for Equality Heard Round the … Continue reading
Any prayer “The Huntsman: Winter’s War,” ever had of making a dime is over. Finished. Finito. Second weekend of release,Second weekend of release, the most unnecessary sequel of the still-new year is plunging more than 50%, after a weak opener. … Continue reading
A couple of pictures going into wide release this weekend are earning widespread endorsements. A couple of others, not so much. “Keanu” is mostly for fans of Comedy Central’s “Key & Peele” sketch-comedy series. It’s a sloppily-plotted, violent, hit-or-miss R-rated … Continue reading
If you’re a filmmaker, chances are you’re going to be shoved into a pigeon-hole. Your best hope is to find a fun, comfy one and maybe make the best of it. John Carney’s “first, best destiny,” as Mr. Spock of … Continue reading
There’s a world-weary misanthropy than runs through child-star turned adult comic actor and director Jason Bateman’s work. And that trademark “I have no you-and-I-no-whats left to give” permeates “The Family Fang,” his second feature film as director/co-star. But that … Continue reading
The comedy, Variety reports, will be about the late president’s second term, when “I don’t recall,” “I don’t remember” replaced “mistakes were made” and that ever-cupped hand to his ear, unable to hear Sam Donaldson’s shouts over the chopper motor … Continue reading
This is Disney approved footage, narrated by Jon Favreau, showing some of how they conjured up the Magic of Mowgli mingling with talking animals for the film. Even less of it is “real” than you realized.
Comedy Central phenoms Key and Peele and the cutest kitten ever put on the big screen team up for “Keanu,” a bullet-riddled, laugh-out-loud “gangsta”farce. It’s wildly uneven, rather like their TV series (Jordan Peele and series director Peter Atencio scripted … Continue reading
Well, “G & Ts all around, sweetie darling?” “G & Ts darling!” It’s about 12 years too late getting here, but Jon Hamm, Kate Moss, Miranda Richardson, many other cameos. July 22 everything gets “Absolutely Fabulous” darling. Everything.
“Mother’s Day” is an ensemble holiday comedy packed with all the sappy sentimentality and mawkish manipulation that only the old master, Garry Marshall would dare give it. It’s not very funny, and the plot points are so head-slappingly obvious that … Continue reading