Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? "The Paramedic (El practicante) " is no Angel of Mercy
- Movie Review: Idris Elba shoots, and sings in "The Take"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Did you catch the RBG/Ruth Bader Ginsburg cameo in "Deadpool 2"?
- Netflixable? Toby Jones views his Mommy issues through a twisted "Kaleidoscope"
- Documentary Review: Ten Years After high school, who remains "Most Likely to Succeed?"
- Movie Review: Documentary celebrates the jurist, the icon, the woman with the Rap Name Notorious "RBG"
- Movie Review: The beautifully-filmed ugly history of "Antebellum"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: September 2013
“Instructions Not Included” was smuggled into theaters (no previews), weakly reviewed when critics finally got around to it, and seemingly limited in appeal. It’s a foreign language subtitled comedy with no prestige picture label attached to it. Even though reviews … Continue reading
Technically dazzling and emotionally gripping, “Gravity” is a space-age science fiction thriller grounded in something pretty close to reality. A space shuttle/space junk accident picture, Alfonso Cuaron’s movie gives us Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, space-walkers whose ship is wrecked … Continue reading
And Vancouver. And probably, soundstages in the U.S. Probably. PFW, one of the companies invested in Robert Rodriguez’s long-awaited “Sin City” sequel, “A Dame to Die For,” is shipping a lot of the special effects work to Mumbai, which RR … Continue reading
Well, that $40 million+ weekend that “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2” seemed headed for Friday disappeared Saturday, the big day of the week, traditionally, for family cartoons. Word of mouth and weak reviews pummeled the Sony Animation product … Continue reading
Melissa and Hugh divorced decades ago, but the heat never left their hate. They still go at it, hammer and tong, voices shrieking, threats rising and profanity flying. And they’re every bit as funny as old pros Catherine O’Hara and … Continue reading
The earliest box office numbers in from Deadline.com always underestimate kids’ films and how much they take in on Saturday. So take this $38 weekend and add a couple, unless parents find something better to do with their kids’ SAturdays. … Continue reading
Randy Moore’s filmed-on-the-sly theme park (Disneyland and Disney World) horror thriller got some level of Disney permission and has distribution. Intrigued.
He did the best of the Harry Potters, “Children of Men” and “Y Tu Mama Tambien” and “Great Expectations” and “A Little Princess.” One of my favorite directors, and he should be one of yours. So I’m looking for suggestions … Continue reading
History hasn’t let us think about the blood. It was all over Jackie Kennedy, the Secret Service Agents and especially the doctors and nurses crowded into that emergency room at Parkland Hospital in Dallas.“Parkland” is a fascinating insider’s view of … Continue reading
The answer to that has to be “probably.” “Wizard of Oz” took in decent money, owing to the lack of kid-film competition. And since the last theatrical cartoon was the limper-than-limp “Planes,” there is pent up demand. Lots of it. … Continue reading