Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Ashley Benson and Shiloh Fernandez face off over "Private Property"
- Documentary Review: A ski resort disaster dissected -- "Buried: The 1982 Alpine Meadows Avalanche"
- Movie Review: The Witch oh the witch oh the witches are back -- "Hocus Pocus 2"
- That song Justin Long sings along to in "Barbarian?"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Movie Review: A Spaceship Encounters "Deus," and Unholy Heck Breaks Loose
- Movie Review: A Psychopath's Origin Story -- "Pearl"
- Movie Review: A Farrelly Brother and Zac Efron set out on "The Greatest Beer Run Ever"
- Movie Review: Antonio Banderas classes up "The Enforcer"
- Movie Review: A Dystopian Future whose hopes hang on a "Vesper"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: January 2014
I remember a college costume party where a bunch of frat boys I knew showed up as Devo. And then, lo all those years later, Mark Mothersbaugh turns into a film and video game music composer and “Rugrats” character. Couldn’t … Continue reading
“So” is how “That Awkward Moment” begins every “awkward moment.” As in “So, what are we doing here?” Or “So, where do you see this relationship going?” That’s the dating man’s lesson of “That Awkward Moment,” that “For girls, nothing … Continue reading
The funniest unintentional laugh in “Labor Day” is the way adaptor/director Jason Reitman treats this eye-rolling, melodramatic romance novel as if he’s got his hands on the works of Dostoevsky or Tolstoy. A genteel escaped convict hides out with a … Continue reading
The news that Quentin Tarantino’s legal eagles are going after gossip websites that linked to those who posted/published his “Hateful Eight” script, which was leaked by the agent of an actor he was trying to cast in it, is a … Continue reading
Steve Coogan’s face slips easily into a sneer. Too easily, he worries. A British actor famed for his snark, his doltish snobs such as the failing TV host Alan Partridge, cynicism has become his stock in trade, his persona. He … Continue reading
It’s not, as its title implies, the “Best Night Ever.” It’s not as funny as “Bridesmaids” or as dark as “Bachelorette.” But the latest bridesmaids-behaving-badly comedy, a raunchy, found footage (“Are you really going to film EVERYthing?”) romp, tops even … Continue reading
Realistic painting reached its golden age with the 17th century “Dutch Masters,” painters whose mastery of detail and recreation of faces and light were unmatched until the advent of photography hundreds of years later.But what if they had help? What … Continue reading
You’ve been seeing Ice Cube on every TV show, hearing him on every national radio show, plugging away, taking care of business re: “Ride Along,” the biggest hit of his career. Kevin Hart? He’s too big to be bothered about … Continue reading
Aaron Eckhart bears a distressing resemblance to the not late/not great Christopher Lambert in “I, Frankenstein,” a graphic novel movie goof on the man-made monster. Gaunt, scowling, covered in scars and sporting fingerless gloves, a tattered hoodie and biker … Continue reading
Disney has decided that the Oscar nominated, months-long top ten box office presence of “Frozen” needs a little cherry on top of the icing of this $338 million-and-counting hit. So Jan. 31, they’re releasing digital sing-along prints of it — … Continue reading