Top Posts & Pages
- Series Review: Is "WandaVision" a Marvel?
- Netflixable? "100% Halal," a soapy, almost edgy dramedy from Islamic Indonesia
- Netflixable? A Norwegian "car toon" -- "Asphalt Burning (Børning 3)"
- Movie Review: There's little redeeming about "Redemption Day"
- Movie Review: A Deadly, Panicked Police Shooting, the definition of "Blindfire"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Movie Review: Hanks anchors a Western parable, "News of the World"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Netflixable? For the love of a woman, he makes "L'ascension (The Climb)" up Everest
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: March 16, 2013
Spring Break – it’s every bit as much fun as you think it is. Until it isn’t. “Spring Breakers” is Harmony “Gummo” Korine’s fever-dream of something he never experienced – an orgy of sand, sin and snorting that is only … Continue reading
Rare is the artist who drops into the culture, fully formed and utterly self-created. There were influences, nature and nurture, that shaped them. That’s what the new film “Leonie” is about. Leonie Gilmour wasn’t a great artist. She took up … Continue reading
In a movie review aggregator world dominated by the Warner Brothers owned Rotten Tomatoes, there are only a couple of worthwhile challengers to the “tomatometer” tilt of whether a movie has earned a consensus of good reviews or bad. It’s … Continue reading
She’s never been box office. But if the audience I saw Halle Berry’s “The Call” with the other night was any indication, she’s got a crowd-pleasing thriller on her hands. And Friday night’s box office take is backing that up. … Continue reading
Ed Koch’s timing failed him, on occasion. The New York mayor was very late reacting to the AIDS crisis, tin-eared and overstayed his welcome in city hall. And he died in February, at age 88, just before Neil Barsky’s entertaining, … Continue reading