Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Documentary Review: "My Darling Vivian" knew how to "Walk the Line"
- Movie Review: An Orphan discovers what it means to be "The Devil's Child"
- Preview, Burglar interrupts suicide, "romance" ensues in "Breaking & Exiting"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Movie Review: "First Signal" ruins that moment when the aliens "phone home"
- Movie Review: Strangers, thrown together -- "Getting to Know You"
- Movie Review: A gay couple is haunted or Harassed in "Spiral"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Netflixable? Sad, scenic "Keeping the Bees" shows a Turkey we never see in the movies
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: May 2013
“Million Dollar Arm” — Disney reaches for the Indian market with a cricket/baseball comedy starring Jon Hamm?
This is so odd and quirky in concept that you just hope it works. Jon Hamm plays a struggling sports agent who, thanks to his Subcontinental sidekick (Aasif Mandvi), finds a potential gold mine in that very British Empire sport, … Continue reading
The rumors have been around for a few days, that the true-crime drama about Boston mobster Whitey Bulger, “Black Mass,” was about to lose one of its stars — Johnny Depp. Now comes news from THR that Depp quit over … Continue reading
It won’t last all weekend, but due to their respective audiences and the fact that the Will Smith/Jaden Smith movie opened later Thursday night than “Now You See Me” did gave the cheaper, superior caper dramedy with magicians a win … Continue reading
This documentary hits close to home. As upset as SeaWorld got over “The Cove,” “Blackfish,” about keeping orcas as trained performers, will make them hit the roof. “Blackfish” goes into limited release in June.
Hugh Jackman, Maria Bello, Viola Davis, Terrence Howard, Jake Gyllenhaal as the cop on the case, Paul Dano as the may-be kidnapper, Melissa Leo. “Prisoners” smacks of a vigilante justice/”any means necessary” thriller about a father (Jackman) who takes the … Continue reading
It’s Friday AM, which means its time for me to get on the radio and chew over the week’s new releases with Mike Bianchi on the “Open Mike” radio show on 740 The Game. We’ll wrestle with “After EArth” and … Continue reading
That’s what Variety is projecting for the critically derided Will Smith/Jaden Smith/M. Night Shyamalan action picture. The Box Office Guru thinks $33 million is within reach. I’m always surprised when a movie with bad reviews and a sort of eye-rolling … Continue reading
When an actor of limited talent and great clout builds vehicle after vehicle around his charisma-starved kid, he’s asking for some serious abuse. Take that, Will and Jaden Smith. Get that pretentious has-been M. Night Shyamalan to direct it, and … Continue reading
They met on a Vienna-bound train, and fell in love with each other over a long night’s talk “Before Sunrise.” Nine years later, they reconnected in Paris and fell in love all over again, no matter how much more complicated … Continue reading