Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Laughs are hard to find in this Spanish "Perfect Family (La familia perfecta)"
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Netflixable? Rebel Wilson has her "Senior Year" moment
- Movie Review: Ashley Benson and Shiloh Fernandez face off over "Private Property"
- Movie Review: Lost Aussie Children in the Cane Country by "Sweet River"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Netflixable? Poland's "The Getaway King (Najmro)" has style, wit and panache
- Netflixable? A Soapy Sex Triangle from India in shades of "Cobalt Blue"
- Movie Review: Chinese and in Japan? He'll never fit in without "Complicity"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: September 2017
Surprised Magnolia let this scene out of the bag, as it’s a highlight of “Lucky.” But if you’re determined to get filmgoers to hunt down a limited release film in the hopes of netting Harry an Oscar nomination, you do … Continue reading
Jason Isaacs dolled up as “Uncle Joe” Stalin, STEVE FREAKING BUSCEMI as Kruschev,” with Andrea Riseborough, Paddy Considine and MICHAEL PALIN — yes, I’m shouting — directed and co-written by the creator of “In the Loop” and “Alan Partridge,” how … Continue reading
Not a dazzling supporting cast. Kevin Connolly — yes THAT Kevin Connolly, of “Entourage,” directed it. But Travolta takes a big swing at the “Teflon Don” in this modestly-budgeted bio-thriller. Not sure of the release date. Not sure if they … Continue reading
This weekend’s generous late-run predictions for Stephen King’s finally-fading “It,” and the horrid “Kingsman” sequel, turn out to have been wrong. Projections that the non-branded true story comedy thriller “American Made” wouldn’t clear $20 were right on the mark. So … Continue reading
Spoiler alert. There is absolutely no reason — NONE — for casting Kiefer Sutherland in the remake of “Flatliners” if you’re not going to have him reprise his character from the first film. He’s a totally new character, the head … Continue reading
“American Made” is the best-reviewed Tom Cruise movie in ages, a crackling, witty drug trade docudrama about a hot shot pilot who gets himself in the middle of the Iran/Contra Scandal, and Reagan Administration extra-legal shenanigans that flooded the country … Continue reading
There is an Orlando that exists in the very shadow of the theme parks that make the city America’s Vacationland. It’s the Orlando of the young service-sector poor, transients — many with children. They wait on the tourists, clean their … Continue reading
Oscar bait? To be sure. Gary Oldman goes for spot-on impersonation of the English bulldog who led Britain through World War II, with Kristen Scott-Thomas as Lady Churchill and the omnipresent Ben Mendelsohn as the King George of “The King’s … Continue reading
Two well-heeled strangers, trapped in Idaho before a blizzard hits, charter a plane to Denver. It goes down in the Rocky Mountain wilderness and they’re forced to depend on each other, blend clashing personalities, to survive. That’s the premise of … Continue reading
This was a pretty notorious kidnapping case when it happened back in 1973. A Getty grandson nabbed, the kid’s mother is “not a real Getty” and the Patriarch (Kevin Spacey) isn’t likely to pay ransom. Ridley Scott directed, with Michelle … Continue reading