Top Posts & Pages
- The Best Films of 2016
- Movie Review: "Incarnate" --an Exorcist, by any other name
- Movie Review: Will Michael Shannon finally "get the girl" in "Frank & Lola"?
- Movie Review: "The Good Neighbor"
- Movie Review: "Hide Away (A Year in Mooring)"
- Movie Review: "Abattoir"doesn't live down to its title
- Movie Review: "La La Land" triumphs over bland -- eventually
- Movie: "13 Cameras" tries to get under your skin by getting inside your house
- Movie Review: "The Physician"
- Movie Review: "Star Wars Redux" aka "The Force Awakens"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: March 5, 2013
Jon Stewart will take a shot at directing a movie he’s written, an adaptation of a true story of a British journalist held in an Iranian prison. And that means he won’t be on “The Daily Show” for much of … Continue reading
Yes, it sort of gives away the whole movie. Pity “The Mandarin” wasn’t cast as Chinese, but I don’t know the Marvel universe well enough to know if that was even worth considering. There are plenty of stakes shown here, … Continue reading
You almost need to see Dave Grohl’s documentary “Sound City” with headphones on. That’s the best way to pick up the nuances the legions of legendary musicians are talking about in this ratty old recording studio where some of the … Continue reading
In the movies’ version of March Madness, Sam Raimi turns out to be a much better Tim Burton than Bryan Singer. Unlike “Giant Slayer” Singer, Sam’s got a sense of humor. Taking on a prequel to the fairytale that frightened … Continue reading
Years in planning, with blockbuster expectations (an $85 million opening weekend is projected) — even if they didn’t match the masterpiece that the original film was, Disney’s “Oz, the Great and Powerful” is sharping up as the year’s first “BIG” … Continue reading
Australian Aboriginal Soul Music Singers in Vietnam. During the ’60s, during the war. With Chris O’Dowd has their manager, their lecturer in all things “Soul.” This trailer. Is a hoot. “The Sapphires” opens in limited release March 22.
“Happily,” Tommy Lee Jones says, “I bear no resemblance to Douglas MacArthur at all.” And if you’re going to portray the World War II general nicknamed “American Caesar” by some historians, in the movie “Emperor,” that’s a liberating thing. “That … Continue reading