Top Posts & Pages
- Series Review: Is "WandaVision" a Marvel?
- Netflixable? "100% Halal," a soapy, almost edgy dramedy from Islamic Indonesia
- Netflixable? A Norwegian "car toon" -- "Asphalt Burning (Børning 3)"
- Movie Review: There's little redeeming about "Redemption Day"
- Movie Review: A Deadly, Panicked Police Shooting, the definition of "Blindfire"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Movie Review: Hanks anchors a Western parable, "News of the World"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Netflixable? For the love of a woman, he makes "L'ascension (The Climb)" up Everest
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: March 18, 2013
No, the reviews weren’t great. Nor was the box office. But when I talked with Gemma Arterton and Jeremy Renner, they were both down with the idea of making this silly/violent “Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters” a franchise. And now … Continue reading
There’s a hint of “Wait Until Dark” to this thriller, starring Michelle Monaghan as a blind woman whose lover is murdered. And then, just as he’s making her getaway — enter Michael Keaton. Director Joseph Ruben (“Sleeping With the Enemy”) … Continue reading
“Starbuck” is a big, fat French-Canadian hug of a movie, a sperm-donations-gone-wrong farce that manages the occasional belly laugh, but also moving takes on parenthood, family and what it means to grow up. David Wozniak (Patrick Huard) makes one wonder … Continue reading
There’s an old maxim in the film biz, which I’ve taken to calling the “Elizabeth Berkeley Rule.” Always have that next project signed up and ready to announce before your current film hits theaters. It’s a way of immunizing … Continue reading
For a movie as overtly sexual as “Spring Breakers,” Harmony Korine’s Ode to “Girls Gone Wild” that progresses to “Girl Gone Wrong,” it isn’t exactly sexy. The women starring in it spend the entire film, pretty much, in bikinis. They … Continue reading