Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Dutch, Germans, Brits and Canadians live through "The Forgotten Battle"
- Concert Doc Review -- "Dave Chapelle: The Closer"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Movie Review: Vergara and Manganiello face the "Bottom of the Ninth"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Bingeworthy? Danes face terror, and personal reckonings for it "When the Dust Settles"
- Movie Review: Bullying's not a joke to a High School "Runt"
- Landmark Film Review: "The Killing Floor," a classic of Labor and African American cinema, newly restored
- Movie Review: Deja Vu "Dune"
- Book Review: The "Real" Judy Greer speaks up in "I Don't Know What You Know Me From"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: December 2017
A very good Friday suggests that “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” could hit $55 million on this, its third weekend in theaters, big bucks which could make 2017 an $11 billion+ year in ticket sales, according to Deadline.com. That would … Continue reading
Let’s get this out of the way right out the gate. The Best Films of 2017 are “Dunkirk,” “The Florida Project,” “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” “Lady Bird” and “Brad’s Status.” Yeah, “The Disaster Artist” can be in that conversation, … Continue reading
The “biggest movie hit of 2017, as of this typing, is not “Wonder Woman,” the film phenomenon of the early summer, but a film that opened in March. “Wonder Woman” owned the summer, taking over $412 million, rewarding Warner Brothers … Continue reading
Pardon my tardiness in catching up with the Barden Bellas one last time. I strongly suspected that these “pitches” had run out of ideas with “Pitch Perfect,” and “Pitch Perfect 2” pretty much confirmed it. But here it is, “Pitch … Continue reading
There’s an almost unnerving self-confidence in aspiring filmmakers. Directing is not for the meek or shrinking violets. Egomaniacs are drawn to it like alpha flies. Spend any time around clusters of committed filmmaker wannabes and you’ll pick up on a … Continue reading
It’s safe to say that the on-the-road/on-the-lam thriller “The Strange Ones” was conceived and filmed in a different time. We’re a lot more sensitive to hints of an age-inappropriate sexual relationship than we were mere months ago. That’s a key … Continue reading
It’s hard to attach “disappointing” to the box office take of any movie that opens with a $220 million 3.5 day (Thursday night counts, too) weekend. It’s made it’s money, pop that champagne at Disney/Lucasfilm, right? The second weekend of … Continue reading
I’m only just now getting around to “Okja” because, well, the thought of a two hour dark Korean comedy about a digital built-in-the-lab superpig of the future holds little appeal. I loved “The Host,” liked “Snowpiercer” and “Mother,” so filmmaker … Continue reading
Box Office: “Jedi” drops off, still bests “Jumanji,” “Pitch Perfect” and “Greatest Showman” — “Father Figures” bombs
(UPDATED — “Jedi” plunges Fri/Sat to Fri/Sat. There is, officially and measurably, a backlash). The full holiday weekend — four days of box office glory — greatly inflate the numbers for all the films opening this weekend, and the Movie … Continue reading
All this back and forth over “There’s no REAL backlash to ‘The Last Jedi,’” “Everybody LOVES it,, exit-polling PROVES IT. Just like Disney SAYS!” and “It’s the fanboys/alt-right, hate-bots that have gamed the user-reviews on websites” have been rather vexing … Continue reading