Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Well, at least the Canary Islands glow in "So My Grandma's a Lesbian"
- Netflixable? "A Girl like Grace" is going to make some mistakes
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Book Review: The "Real" Judy Greer speaks up in "I Don't Know What You Know Me From"
- Movie Review: Denzel, Malek and Leto get "The Little Things" right
- Movie Review: To have a "close encounter," you need "Proximity"
- Netflixable? Hippie teen has a Rio predicament in "Double Dad"
- Movie Review: "Wrong Turn" leads to terror and torture porn on the Appalachian Trail
- Netflixable? "Sightless" and paranoid -- maybe with good reason
- Movie Review: "Some Southern Waters" wash up on a David Lynch shore
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: February 2013
Ashley Bell is back. And nobody involved apparently is familiar with the meaning of “Last,” because she’s still in need of exorcising. Imagine running across this in Mardi Gras. Yes, the setting has moved to New Orleans. No, this image … Continue reading
The “Cars”-ish cartoon “Planes” is due out in August, a bit late in the summer for a cartoon of any sort to have maximum money-making potential. And now Disney (not Pixar, which was responsible for “Cars”) has re-cast the lead … Continue reading
What might one need if one finds oneself on the lam from The Sweeney, the Flying Squad of coppers in the new film from Olde England? A pack of biscuits, a Cockney rhyming dictionary set of flashcards, thumb cuffs/keychains, and … Continue reading
James Wan’s “based on a true story” is a haunted house/spooked family tale starring Lili Taylor, Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga. This trailer is chilling, in an utterly conventional way — strange noises, children giggling, spooky destruction of family photos, … Continue reading
Sometimes, a documentary is more than a non-fiction film. Sometimes it becomes a cause. That was the idea behind the film “Bully” last year, a movie that tapped into a national movement, a national conversation about bullying. And somewhere in … Continue reading
Warner Brothers is in the Bradley Cooper business for a remake of the biggest German hit of 2011. “Kokowaah” is about two pals who have to deal with the unsettling news that one is actually the real father of the … Continue reading
Johnny Depp had been “circling,” as they say, the film project about notorious Boston mobster, the long on the lam Whitey Bulger. “Black Mass” it is titled. And now THR says he’s doing it. Shooting it later this year. Barry … Continue reading
I’ll be joining Mike Bianchi on his sports talk show, “Open Mike,” to chat about “Phantom,” a passable Cold War submarine thriller, and “21 and Over,” a college Hangover written and directed by the guys who wrote “The Hangover.” … Continue reading
Oh, for those innocent days of yore, when “The Hangover” was a malady and not a movie, when the words “Zach Galifianakis” were as alien as “Klaatu barada nikto.” It seems like millennia since the binge comedy became the new … Continue reading