Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Laughs are hard to find in this Spanish "Perfect Family (La familia perfecta)"
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Netflixable? Rebel Wilson has her "Senior Year" moment
- Movie Review: Ashley Benson and Shiloh Fernandez face off over "Private Property"
- Movie Review: Lost Aussie Children in the Cane Country by "Sweet River"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Netflixable? Poland's "The Getaway King (Najmro)" has style, wit and panache
- Netflixable? A Soapy Sex Triangle from India in shades of "Cobalt Blue"
- Movie Review: Chinese and in Japan? He'll never fit in without "Complicity"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: January 2017
It’s a secret every stand-up comic must master if she or he is to have any chance of success. Know when to get off stage, when to as the rappers say, “drop the mike.” “The Comedian” is an 85 minute … Continue reading
A lot of top flight talent wanted to be a part of James Franco‘s most ambitious movie as a director. Scene after scene of “In Dubious Battle” is filled with the faces of Ed Harris, Bryan Cranston, Robert Duvall, Sam … Continue reading
A huge Thursday night had box office prognosticators thinking “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter,” would “go out” with a bang. Then again, maybe Variety and others were just trolling for gamer traffic. But Friday proved otherwise, and it’s slated to … Continue reading
It must have seemed like a good idea. If losing a ton of weight to play an emaciated redneck AIDS patient who resolves to not go quietly into the dark Texas night in “Dallas Buyers’ Club” won Matthew McConaughey an … Continue reading
The most successful video game film franchise ever wraps up its saga in “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.” But — spoiler alert here — if you think that title represents truth in advertising, there’s there’s this bankrupt billionaire con artist … Continue reading
The 37th annual Golden Raspberry Awards, dissing the disasters of cinema, were announced this week. And the voters cooked up their usual blend of condemnation and dish on the year’s unworthiest films, scripts for films and actors in films. So … Continue reading
The conventions of the “fresh out of prison” drama are long-established. But they’re recycled, to good effect, in “Chapter & Verse,” a well-acted genre picture that suffers only from a chronic inability to surprise. Writer-star Daniel Beaty lays out the … Continue reading
Yet another entertainment icon has passed. Mary Tyler Moore was 80. The cause of death wasn’t made immediately available, but she suffered from diabetes and battled brain cancer in recent years. She made her mark on TV, starting with her … Continue reading
Not all Vin Diesel franchises are created equal. Then again, maybe they are. Paramount tries to clone the Diesel “Fast/Furious” formula with “xXx: Return of Xander Cage,” a ham-fisted, instantly-awful action revival back from back in Diesel’s heyday. It’s got breathlessly … Continue reading