Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review -- "Trevor: The Musical," a Pride Month period piece comes to Disney+
- Movie Review: A blood feud, a buried "sister" and sacrificial hand binds "The Accursed"
- Netflixable? South Africa's version of "Crash" is titled "Collision"
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Netflixable? Even sunny "Toscana" can't save this maudlin Danish Food-and-Daddy-Issues Romance
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Documentary Review: Netflix's "One of Us" exposes the horrors of escaping Hasidism
- Netflixable? "RRR," an Action Bromance that Pulls out all the Bollywood Stops
- Movie Review: "The Black Phone" rings up a horror homage to King, "Twilight Zone" and '70s Childhood
- Movie Review -- "The Witch: Part 2, The Other One" gives witches the "Underworld" treatment
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: March 28, 2013
“Buried Alive” movies connect to our primal fears, and to our love of “What would I do in that situation?” puzzles. We can’t all be martial artists with the supernatural will of an Uma Thurman. But we can easily put … Continue reading
There’s something utterly unnerving about seeing a child with an AK-47. He can be Nigerian, Sudanese or Canadian, but the sense of innocence lost, of that “Lord of the Flies” cruel streak too many of us carry with us makes … Continue reading
Is there life after “Twilight,” Stephenie Meyer? At least at the movies? Critics, who carped away at various installments of “The Twilight Saga” are almost uniform in their scorn, or at least dismissal of Meyer’s follow-up book-turned-film, “The Host.” Not … Continue reading
The brilliantly, hilariously offbeat “History of Future Folk” is a sci-fi comic thriller folk music musical. Even its genre is a hoot. There’s this goofy janitor (Nils d’Aulaire) and dad who tells his daughter funny bedtime stories about a distant … Continue reading
The scenario has the ring of familiarity — a friend dies, so a couple of mates resolve to bury him in a poetically appropriate place. It’s what happened to folk-rocker Gram Parsons, whose pals smuggled him out to Joshua Tree … Continue reading
Jason Chaet’s wafer-thin romantic comedy “Putzel” is about a put-upon loser, Walter (Jack T. Carpenter) who only wants to inherit the family business, Himmelstein’s House of Lox. It’s all he’s known and all he’ll probably ever know. It’s how the … Continue reading
The title is, frankly, creepy. The premise, profiling one of those guys who shops the personal ads and matchmaking websites “Seeking Asian Female,” is right on the cusp of repulsive – creepy white guys seeking Asian girlfriends or brides. But … Continue reading
Matthew Vaughn Fox will distribute the 2014 release, according to Deadline.com. “The Secret Service” is based on a graphic novel/comic series by “Kick-Ass” creator Mark Millar (and artist Dave Gibbons) which is about a legendary spy on the trail of … Continue reading
There’s no Madea, no Tyler Perry at all on the screen in his latest, “Tempation.” Just lots of PG-13 rated temptation, and Journee Smollett, Brandy Norwood, Vanessa Williams and Kim Kardashian. The guys are eye candy in Perry’s movies, and … Continue reading