Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Surviving the Norwegian Apocalypse -- "Cadaver (Kadaver)"
- Netflixable? Is anybody home at "House of the Witch?"
- Movie Review: A grieving obsessive-compulsive falls under an Icelandic "Spell"
- Movie Review: A streetball legend, "Blackjack: The Jackie Ryan Story"
- Netflixable? Emma Roberts and Luke Bracey brace for a "Holidate"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Documentary Review: "The Phenomenon" revisits UFOdom's Greatest Hits
- Netflixable? "American Pie Presents: 'Girls' Rules"
- Movie Review: Kathie Lee and Craig, together again, "Then Came You"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: November 2013
I just love this trailer for the stop-motion animated “Boxtrolls”, which isn’t due out until next September. Play up the hand-crafted nature of it, and show off the craft. The plot may be a hard sell, at this point. So … Continue reading
In a weak year for animated films, the third best animated feature for kids (after “Croods” and “Despicable Me 2”) is feeding pent-up demand for a watchable cartoon. “Frozen” isn’t an instant classic, but it’ll do. $80 million, Wed–Sunday is … Continue reading
A $23 million Wed. means that “Catching Fire” has plenty of fuel for a second weekend at the box office. But Disney’s “Frozen” looks to bring in the kids and families by the droves. A $17 million Wed. points to … Continue reading
This Magnet horror film has a LOT of “Alien” about it. Isolated Mars base, SOMEthing gets into one of the astronauts. And “We can’t let this get back to Earth. Good looking film, good cast headed by Liev Schreiber. “The … Continue reading
With all the idiotic new-to-releasing posturing by FilmDistrict over Spike Lee’s “Oldboy,” forcing critics to sign embargo agreements, etc., you knew that old boy had botched it. And sure enough, reviews for the remake of Chan-wook Park’s Korean mystery-thriller have … Continue reading
So many movies about “The Beat Generation,” so few that have the rhythm. “Kill Your Darlings” joins “Howl” and “On the Road” and “Big Sur” in the recent run of offbeat and off-the-beat indie films taking aim at that post-World … Continue reading
The problem with remakes is that you can’t “un-see” the original film. And that’s especially true of Chan-Wook Park’s searing 2003 hit, “Oldboy.”The new Spike Lee/Hollywood version deviates in a lot of minor and a few important ways. But try … Continue reading
Here on the cusp of Thanksgiving, various Oscar races are shaping up as the field narrows and potential contenders either join the mix or fall by the wayside. Best actor seems like a Redford, McConaughey, Dern, Ejiofor, Hanks and possibly … Continue reading
A romantic sci-fi tale of love and a disembodied electronic voice. The voice is Scarlett Johansson. We get it. Joaquin Phoenix is the lonely, broken-hearted fellow whose new “assistant” is the only one who gets him in this possible Oscar … Continue reading
Forget the eight forgettable tunes and Disney’s “Frozen” finds a pleasant home in the ranks of Disney’s animated “princess” musicals. The tunes may place it closer to “Tangled” than “The Little Mermaid,” but there’s wit and whimsy in this 53rd … Continue reading