Top Posts & Pages
- Concert Doc Review -- "Dave Chapelle: The Closer"
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Netflixable? Dutch, Germans, Brits and Canadians live through "The Forgotten Battle"
- Movie Review: Canadian College kids discover the horrors of "Halloween Party"
- Movie Review: Bullying's not a joke to a High School "Runt"
- Netflixable? Cop digs into gay murders in 1980s Poland, and a cover-up -- "Operation Hyacinth"
- Movie Review: If only they'd remembered Harvey Keitel is "Lansky"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: December 9, 2019
Documentary Review: Surfing twins take on the world and the big waves, “And Two if By Sea: The Hobgood Brothers”
I’ve seen and reviewed a lot of surf documentaries over the decades, but “And Two if By Sea: The Hobgood Brothers” stands out from the pack in two important regards. One is the degree to which it dives into the … Continue reading
In total agreement with the various pieces around the web about this Golden Globes snub. Natalie Portman pointed it out in reading off the “all male nominees” list o the telecast this morning. Three or four women directors were worth … Continue reading
In November of 1957, the biggest gathering of mob bosses in Mafia history took place in tiny Apalachin, New York. Every Big Name in La Cosa Nostra showed up in upstate New York — some 60 mob bosses from across … Continue reading
I will withhold my “What’s the point of THIS?” judgment because, well, this is a novel approach to take to a “reboot.” A “Ghostbusters” without the comedy? A sequel assuming the originals are all, or mostly, in the Harold Ramis … Continue reading
A peak Netflix moment? Or a predictor of the Oscars? Big day for “The Irishman” and “Marriage Story,” some notice for “The Two Popes,” “Dolemite,” a near tidal wave. “Ford v Ferrari” a token nomination, “Once Upon a Time.. in … Continue reading
If you think anything is going to stop Disney from remaking “live action” versions of its animated classics, Marvel movies or “Star Wars” installments, think again. The Mouse has become the first studio to ever cross the $10 billion mark … Continue reading