Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Netflixable? "Photocopier" reminds us that in Indonesia and elsewhere, the Revolution will not be Televised
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Movie Review: Revenge is served up "Seaside"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Netflixable? "The Royal Treatment," a haircut with dull scissors
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: January 12, 2020
In America and much of the Western world, film schools are an indulgence of the children of privilege. Talent from other classes occasionally makes its way in, but by large, that’s who you see there. In South Africa, in the … Continue reading
Remember Paris Hilton? Because you have to in order to “get” the um, “jokes” in the “comic” spoof “Reality Queen!” It’s about an about-to-fade reality TV star trying to recapture her status in the Age of Memes. And it’s about … Continue reading
Wise are the filmmakers who look to Alfred Hitchcock, “the master of suspense,” for inspiration, twists and story structure in creating their screen thriller. But foolish are they who bollix things as thoroughly as the hapless folks who made “The … Continue reading
A VERY impressive Golden Globes bounce for Sam Mendes WWI epic, which may clear the $37 million mark after all the weekend’s receipts are finally tallied Monday. $36.5 is the official estimate Sunday. “Rise of Skywalker” and “Jumanji” both finally … Continue reading