Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Netflixable? "Photocopier" reminds us that in Indonesia and elsewhere, the Revolution will not be Televised
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Movie Review: Revenge is served up "Seaside"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Netflixable? "The Royal Treatment," a haircut with dull scissors
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: January 24, 2020
The role-playing action/fantasy video game “NiNoKuni” earns an amusingly nonsensical screen “origin story,” thanks to Netflix. It’s faithful enough to the game — one supposes — to merit the interest of fans, and as it was directed by a “Spirited … Continue reading
A gritty, needy fever dream of New York “fame” comes our way Feb. 21.
“Airplane Mode” is a shiny little rom-com bauble from Brazil that strains and strains to find a laugh. It’s about cell phone addicts, “influencers,” fashion, family and finding love where the pace of life is a lot slower than in … Continue reading
BOX OFFICE: “Gentlemen” have little chance against “Bad Boys,” will anybody turn out for “The Turning?”
Reviews for Guy Ritchie’s “The Gentlemen” have been on a par with “Bad Boys for Life.” It stars Oscar winner Matthew McConoughey, Hugh Grant, Michelle Dockery, Henry Golding, Colin Farrell and Charlie Hunnam — none of whom have the box … Continue reading
The Best International Feature Film Oscar, formerly titled “Best Foreign Language Film,” is going to Korea’s “Parasite” this year. Bong Joon Ho’s social satire is the closest this thing year’s Academy Awards have to a sure thing. But Poland’s entry … Continue reading