Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Turkish "My Father's Violin (Babamin Kemani)" tugs at the heartstrings
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Netflixable? "Aileen Wuornos: American Boogeywoman" is trash, and not the good kind
- Movie Review: Moping our way through "Elsewhere"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Movie Preview: Silverstone, a Tsunami and Sharks? "The Requin"
- Netflixable? Faith-based dance romance "Faith, Hope & Love" misses a step or three
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 24, 2013
We may never see this as a movie, but MGM and Sylvester Stallone have let some money change hands with the director and star of “Fruitvale Station,” lining up director Ryan Coogler and star Michael B. Jordan for “Creed,” about … Continue reading
It’s an OMFG samurai sword and sorcery picture, coming out in December. And Keanu Reeves stars in it, a “half-breed” and “outcast” who joins an intrepid gang of leaderless/masterless samurai (Ronin) to “save our land.”
This summer cinema season has seen enough epic flops to cause Hollywood to rethink how it does business. Or at least, it’s caused The Hollywood Reporter to say Hollywood is rethinking its business model. “White House Down” lost its shirt … Continue reading
“To be, or not”…let’s make it “To slash, or not to slash.” Because this latest X-Men movie is a lot more existential than recent installments in this comic book series have been. “The Wolverine” is nothing if not ambitious — … Continue reading
Origin stories, even non-fiction ones, often make good movies, showing us “How the West was Won” or how demonic possession entered pop culture, pre-“Exorcist” and Amityville (“The Conjuring”). “Drift” is about the birth of the Australian surfing scene and the … Continue reading