Top Posts & Pages
- Series Review: A very different trip to "The Mosquito Coast"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Movie Review: An unhappy Silverstone is "Sister of the Groom"
- "Save Ralph" aims to turn the tide against animal testing -- with Taika Waititi, Ricky Gervais and Olivia Munn and animation
- Movie Review: Here's how they Screwed Up "Papillon"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Series Review: "Frank of Ireland" indulges the Gleeson Brothers
- Movie Review: Another student-teacher affair, this one "Before the Dawn"
- Movie Review: "At Night Comes Wolves"
- Movie Review: Eckhart is prone to "Wander" in this conspiracy thriller
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 29, 2013
It’s a tired Hollywood maxim that gorgeous actresses have to dress down and frump up to be taken seriously in their craft. Take that far enough — as the statuesque goddess Charlize Theron did in “Monster” — and there’s an … Continue reading
Strip away the makeup and the pretense, turn a few generic high school situations on their ear and an amazing thing can happen to a teen summer movie. Reality sets in, romance feels awkward, difficult and earned and characters make … Continue reading
Local guys, former Disney Feature Animation-Florida studio folk, working to get the film they pitch here up and running. It looks promising, more promising than most of the animated duds of the summer of 2013.
Shia LaBeouf slinging an English accent, and thinking things about the alluring Stacy Martin, all in this turgid clip from Von Triers’ latest headline-grabber.
She gained notice for TV’s “The Secret Life of the American Teenager,” and fame from the George Clooney/Alexander Payne dramedy “The Descendents.” Shailene Woodley’s first film after that was “The Spectacular Now,” which features another dazzlingly natural turn from this … Continue reading
Ben Foster of “3:10 to Yuma,” “The Messenger” and “Rampart” is an intense actor with a killer gaze. Which he’ll need if he plays Lance Armstrong in Stephen “The Queen” Frears’ Lance Armstrong bio-pic. Armstrong turned that looks-could-kill thing on … Continue reading