Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Well, at least the Canary Islands glow in "So My Grandma's a Lesbian"
- Movie Review: "Some Southern Waters" wash up on a David Lynch shore
- Movie Review: Bring the kids, but don't forget the hankies, for "Zoo"
- Netflixable? Hippie teen has a Rio predicament in "Double Dad"
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Netflixable? For the love of a woman, he makes "L'ascension (The Climb)" up Everest
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Movie Review: RZA goes Tarantino-ish for "Cut Throat City"
- Movie Review: Idris Elba shoots, and sings in "The Take"
- Movie Review: To have a "close encounter," you need "Proximity"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 29, 2013
It’s a tired Hollywood maxim that gorgeous actresses have to dress down and frump up to be taken seriously in their craft. Take that far enough — as the statuesque goddess Charlize Theron did in “Monster” — and there’s an … Continue reading
Strip away the makeup and the pretense, turn a few generic high school situations on their ear and an amazing thing can happen to a teen summer movie. Reality sets in, romance feels awkward, difficult and earned and characters make … Continue reading
Local guys, former Disney Feature Animation-Florida studio folk, working to get the film they pitch here up and running. It looks promising, more promising than most of the animated duds of the summer of 2013.
Shia LaBeouf slinging an English accent, and thinking things about the alluring Stacy Martin, all in this turgid clip from Von Triers’ latest headline-grabber.
She gained notice for TV’s “The Secret Life of the American Teenager,” and fame from the George Clooney/Alexander Payne dramedy “The Descendents.” Shailene Woodley’s first film after that was “The Spectacular Now,” which features another dazzlingly natural turn from this … Continue reading
Ben Foster of “3:10 to Yuma,” “The Messenger” and “Rampart” is an intense actor with a killer gaze. Which he’ll need if he plays Lance Armstrong in Stephen “The Queen” Frears’ Lance Armstrong bio-pic. Armstrong turned that looks-could-kill thing on … Continue reading