Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Netflixable? "Photocopier" reminds us that in Indonesia and elsewhere, the Revolution will not be Televised
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Movie Review: "Umrika" sadly reminds one of the America the rest of the world used to see
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Netflixable? "The Royal Treatment," a haircut with dull scissors
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 20, 2013
After “The Others” and “Orphanage,” Hollywood all but ceded the genre of credible, chilling ghost stories to Spain. And deservedly so.To cast its spell, a ghostly tale must take its time, build from recognizable reality to some moment when the … Continue reading
Does this sell this pricey sci-fi franchise as anything out of the “Oblivion/Pacific Rim/The Host” continuum? No.
Every few years, the great James Cromwell gets a role reminding us how great he is — “Babe,” “L.A. Confidential,” “The Artist,” choice guest spots on “The West Wing,” “24” and “Six Feet Under.” Now he’s playing a romantic lead … Continue reading
Those box office prognosticators who read the tracking, and recent trends such as the success of “The Purge” and predicted “The Conjuring” would blow up this weekend were on the money. Hats off to Box Office Mojo, in other words. … Continue reading
Kristen Wiig has worked steadily since her break-out success in “Bridesmaids”, doing basically what she’s always done — quirky supporting parts in comedies, cameos on TV and as a voice in cartoons, killer walk-ons appearances on awards shows. But that … Continue reading