Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Old West prejudices Die Hard in the New West of "The Bygone"
- Movie Review: A Pinkerton hunts Confederate war criminals in the Old West in "Badland"
- Movie Review: The mystery deepens "Every Time I Die"
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Movie Review: Mrs. Maisel's Brosnahan heralds "Change in the Air"
- Netflixable? In Barcelona, watch out for "The Occupant" who had your swank apartment before you
- Netflixable? "Awake" is a thriller that snoozes too long for its own good
- Netflixable? A Memphis BBQ heir gets into wine in "Uncorked"
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Netflixable? Whatever you do, don't rile "Romina"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 11, 2013
It’s the story of Walt Disney’s courtship of “Mary Poppins” creator P.L. Travers. Sounds more fun than this trailer — at first — suggests. Tom Hanks is Disney, his fellow Oscar winner Emma Thompson is the almost un-courtable Travers. But … Continue reading
Some of the video of SeaWorld accidents is disturbing, and a lot of the footage of orcas — killer whales — being herded so that their young can be grabbed for use in theme parks is heartbreaking. But the most … Continue reading
Bill Hader did the Saturday Night Live thing for years. He was most famous for “Stefon,” a homeless gay New York City correspondent who carried a torch for Seth Myers. And now, as that ends, his movie career is lighting … Continue reading
Something about the job that requires a swimsuit says “Not quite an adult yet.” Lifeguards in their thirties (“I’m 29.”) are screenwriter shorthand for “didn’t sell out” (Sam Elliott in “Lifeguard” in the ’70s) but also never grew up — … Continue reading
The gang’s all here for “Grown Ups 2,” Adam Sandler’s latest lowbrow make-work project for all the ex-jocks, jockcasters, “Saturday Night Live” has-beens and other hangers-on he keeps on payroll. It’s another pointless romp through Sandlerland — where the women … Continue reading