Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Getting over "Whelm," and in a hurry
- Movie Review: Bar-coded Pandemic Paranoia drops in on "Red River Road"
- Series Review: "Daisy Jones & the Six," Never quite "Almost Famous"
- Netflixable? A Colombian Male Wish Fulfillment Fantasy -- "The Last Man on Earth"
- Movie Review: Heche, Baldwin, Ulrich and Co. Chase a "Supercell"
- Netflixable? Belgian "Noise" eats up your quiet time as you try to make sense of it
- Documentary Review: "What the Hell Happened to Blood, Sweat & Tears?"
- Movie Review: Robbers are "Hunted" in this Brit thriller about class, privilege and "the most dangerous game"
- Movie Review: "The School of Magical Animals," Hogwarts-lite from Germany
- Movie Review: An Alpine Peak Too Far, "Summit Fever"
Find a Movie Review
Like Movie Nation on Facebook
Daily Archives: July 11, 2013
Movie Preview: A first look at Disney’s “Saving Mr. Banks”
It’s the story of Walt Disney’s courtship of “Mary Poppins” creator P.L. Travers. Sounds more fun than this trailer — at first — suggests. Tom Hanks is Disney, his fellow Oscar winner Emma Thompson is the almost un-courtable Travers. But … Continue reading
Posted in Reviews, previews, profiles and movie news Comments Off on Movie Preview: A first look at Disney’s “Saving Mr. Banks”
Movie Review: “Blackfish” turns the unflattering spotlight on SeaWorld and its killer whales
Some of the video of SeaWorld accidents is disturbing, and a lot of the footage of orcas — killer whales — being herded so that their young can be grabbed for use in theme parks is heartbreaking. But the most … Continue reading
Posted in Reviews, previews, profiles and movie news Comments Off on Movie Review: “Blackfish” turns the unflattering spotlight on SeaWorld and its killer whales
Next Interview: Help me with some questions for “Bill Hader”
Bill Hader did the Saturday Night Live thing for years. He was most famous for “Stefon,” a homeless gay New York City correspondent who carried a torch for Seth Myers. And now, as that ends, his movie career is lighting … Continue reading
Movie Preview: Kristen Bell faces the “grow up” lecture in “The Lifeguard”
Something about the job that requires a swimsuit says “Not quite an adult yet.” Lifeguards in their thirties (“I’m 29.”) are screenwriter shorthand for “didn’t sell out” (Sam Elliott in “Lifeguard” in the ’70s) but also never grew up — … Continue reading
Posted in Reviews, previews, profiles and movie news Comments Off on Movie Preview: Kristen Bell faces the “grow up” lecture in “The Lifeguard”
Movie Review: “Grown Ups 2”, a make-work project for Sandman’s pals
The gang’s all here for “Grown Ups 2,” Adam Sandler’s latest lowbrow make-work project for all the ex-jocks, jockcasters, “Saturday Night Live” has-beens and other hangers-on he keeps on payroll. It’s another pointless romp through Sandlerland — where the women … Continue reading