Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Well, at least the Canary Islands glow in "So My Grandma's a Lesbian"
- Movie Review: "Some Southern Waters" wash up on a David Lynch shore
- Movie Review: Bring the kids, but don't forget the hankies, for "Zoo"
- Netflixable? Hippie teen has a Rio predicament in "Double Dad"
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? For the love of a woman, he makes "L'ascension (The Climb)" up Everest
- Movie Review: RZA goes Tarantino-ish for "Cut Throat City"
- Movie Review: Idris Elba shoots, and sings in "The Take"
- Bingeable? Brit Dramedy "Flack" celebrates and eviscerates the dirty business of image control and publicity
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 11, 2013
It’s the story of Walt Disney’s courtship of “Mary Poppins” creator P.L. Travers. Sounds more fun than this trailer — at first — suggests. Tom Hanks is Disney, his fellow Oscar winner Emma Thompson is the almost un-courtable Travers. But … Continue reading
Some of the video of SeaWorld accidents is disturbing, and a lot of the footage of orcas — killer whales — being herded so that their young can be grabbed for use in theme parks is heartbreaking. But the most … Continue reading
Bill Hader did the Saturday Night Live thing for years. He was most famous for “Stefon,” a homeless gay New York City correspondent who carried a torch for Seth Myers. And now, as that ends, his movie career is lighting … Continue reading
Something about the job that requires a swimsuit says “Not quite an adult yet.” Lifeguards in their thirties (“I’m 29.”) are screenwriter shorthand for “didn’t sell out” (Sam Elliott in “Lifeguard” in the ’70s) but also never grew up — … Continue reading
The gang’s all here for “Grown Ups 2,” Adam Sandler’s latest lowbrow make-work project for all the ex-jocks, jockcasters, “Saturday Night Live” has-beens and other hangers-on he keeps on payroll. It’s another pointless romp through Sandlerland — where the women … Continue reading