Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Idris Elba shoots, and sings in "The Take"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Netflixable? Millie Bobby Brown sleuths as "Enola Holmes"
- Documentary Review: Ten Years After high school, who remains "Most Likely to Succeed?"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Netflixable? "The Paramedic (El practicante) " is no Angel of Mercy
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Movie Review: The horrors of taking a "Shortcut," coming to a drive-in near you
- For the last time, Idris Elba sings
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: May 2013
The razzle dazzles but the smoke never quite hides the mirrors in “Now You See Me,” a super-slick new magicians’ heist picture that demonstrates, once again, how tough it is to make “magic” as a movie subject work. A medium … Continue reading
Truth be told, “After Earth” wouldn’t exist had Will Smith not cooked it up as yet another star vehicle for his son, Jaden. But since buying your kid a movie credit is a tradition that dates back to the beginnings … Continue reading
Looks very Harry Potter-like, more than the first “Percy Jackson.” Logan Lerman returns, Stanley Tucci, Missi Pyle, Sean Bean. Adding Nathan Fillion as Hermes is a nice touch. “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters” opens August 7.
The “Smash” star is signing up to do a film b the “Mystic River” author, a tale of women who kill someone they think is a murderer, only to wear the guilt and suffer the life-changing consequences of their depraved … Continue reading
“Man of Steel” isn’t even in theaters, but Henry Cavill’s peeps aren’t waiting for the reviews and box office to impact their man’s quote. They’re going after “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.,” the TV-show based action piece Guy Ritchie is set … Continue reading
After “Before Sunrise,” and beyond “Before Sunset,” Richard Linklater lets us catch up with Julie and Ethan, eighteen years into their relationship, on vacation in a marriage that is still cute and chatty as all get out, but maybe showing … Continue reading
The school year hasn’t gone well — assignments missed, opportunities to ask out that “special girl” botched. And for Joe Toy (Nick Robinson), the summer ahead doesn’t look much better. He shares a house with his had-enough-of-your-nonsense widowed dad (Nick … Continue reading
Here’s a good warm up act for the big budget Tom Hanks film, “Captain Phillips,” about the hijacking and rescue of the crew of the Maersk Alabama. “A Hijacking” promises to be a more straightforward account of a hijacking — … Continue reading
Brit Marling, who played a cult leader claiming to be a prophetess from the future in “Sound of My Voice,” takes a look at the other side of the equation in “The East,” an audacious thriller about a cultish gang … Continue reading