Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Documentary Review: "#AnneFrank -- Parallel Stories" on Netflix
- Movie Review: Norway and Jenny Slate shimmer in "The Sunlit Night"
- Netflixable? Over-achieving teen takes on "The F**k-It List"
- Netflixable? Nigerian "Last Flight to Abuja" covers the disaster pic checklist
- Movie Review: A comet kills...selectively and "Only"
- Netflixable? "The Old Guard" brings a comic book franchise to Netflix
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? Even "Desperados" shouldn't be this desperate for love
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: April 13, 2020
Aliens? In LA? Go figure. May.
A juvenile in jeopardy, impressively dark and gloomy production values and a leading lady who delivers bug-eyed alarm with the best of them give “Dark Light” a fighting chance. It’s a creature feature with a silly but scary … Continue reading
If only every comedy had the surprise twist that the Czech road picture “Winter Flies” saves for its finale. It’s simple, and simple-minded, and it so upends expectations that it leaves you the way every comedy should — tickled. It’s … Continue reading
The portrait of Hasidism community that’s emerged in films paint it as an insular, secretive and virulently patriarchal cult — a combination of the worst theocratic fundamentalism of the Amish, Islam and Mormonism. Documentaries such as “93 Queen” capture the … Continue reading