Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? "The Noel Diary" barely breaks the Hallmark Holiday Formula
- Movie Review: Disney gets lost in the animated doldrums in "Strange World"
- BOX OFFICE: Another "Wakanda" wipe out, "Strange World" Bombs
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Movie Review: Daughter's Mad for Madden, and saving Dad's NFL career in "Fantasy Football"
- Movie Review: Are Ryan, Will and Octavia "Spirited?"
- Movie Review: Horses and Snow and Gunslingers So Slow -- "The Desperate Riders"
- Documentary Review: More "Proof" of a UFO encounter that's nothing of the sort -- "Moment of Contact"
- That song Justin Long sings along to in "Barbarian?"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: October 29, 2019
Dying to see Linda Hamilton go Old School on the New Terminator.
This abortive effort to sell the 1970s horror classic to movie fans never made it into theaters. It’s arty and horrific, images popping on the screen that play like Friedkin’s thriller’s greatest scariest hits.
The guard is changing for filmmakers we have treated as “brand names” for years. Which is why the director of the indie horror pic, “It Comes at Night,” sort of “The Quiet Place” only Australian and somewhat less creepy, is … Continue reading
What’d the ol’ball coach tell us? All the ol’ball coaches? “Play through the whistle,” he’d say. “Play through ‘The Last Whistle.’” “The Last Whistle” is a lukewarm Texas melodrama that lets your parse that phrase and ethos. Exert yourself to … Continue reading
The writer director announced his comeback with “First Reformed” in 2017. Now, the man who directed “Cat People” and “Light Sleeper” and “Afliction” and scripted “Taxi Driver” has Oscar Isaac to star in this gambling/vengeance drama. Paul Schrader has a … Continue reading
Nothing much happens in “Light from Light,” an East Tennessee character study bathed in mourning cloaked in quiet. The lead characters meet because she’s an amateur ghost hunter, with lifelong intuitions, and he’s a grieving widower who wonders if his … Continue reading