Top Posts & Pages
- Concert Doc Review -- "Dave Chapelle: The Closer"
- Netflixable? Dutch, Germans, Brits and Canadians live through "The Forgotten Battle"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Movie Review: Bullying's not a joke to a High School "Runt"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: Trapped, with escape the only "Antidote"
- Bingeworthy? Danes face terror, and personal reckonings for it "When the Dust Settles"
- Movie Review -- "SAS: Red Notice," as bad as action films get
- Movie Review: Vergara and Manganiello face the "Bottom of the Ninth"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: October 29, 2019
Dying to see Linda Hamilton go Old School on the New Terminator.
This abortive effort to sell the 1970s horror classic to movie fans never made it into theaters. It’s arty and horrific, images popping on the screen that play like Friedkin’s thriller’s greatest scariest hits.
The guard is changing for filmmakers we have treated as “brand names” for years. Which is why the director of the indie horror pic, “It Comes at Night,” sort of “The Quiet Place” only Australian and somewhat less creepy, is … Continue reading
What’d the ol’ball coach tell us? All the ol’ball coaches? “Play through the whistle,” he’d say. “Play through ‘The Last Whistle.’” “The Last Whistle” is a lukewarm Texas melodrama that lets your parse that phrase and ethos. Exert yourself to … Continue reading
The writer director announced his comeback with “First Reformed” in 2017. Now, the man who directed “Cat People” and “Light Sleeper” and “Afliction” and scripted “Taxi Driver” has Oscar Isaac to star in this gambling/vengeance drama. Paul Schrader has a … Continue reading
Nothing much happens in “Light from Light,” an East Tennessee character study bathed in mourning cloaked in quiet. The lead characters meet because she’s an amateur ghost hunter, with lifelong intuitions, and he’s a grieving widower who wonders if his … Continue reading