Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Scorsese's eulogy for "The Irishman"
- Netflixable? Sniper comes home to MMA challenges, "Blackbear"
- Netflixable? French dancers "Step up" for "Let's Dance"
- Documentary Review: "No Safe Spaces" smirks through conservative "free speech" victimhood
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Netflixable? Is any "Marriage Story" honestly like this?
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Movie Review: The Child Actor's lot, laid bare in "Honey Boy"
- Netflixable? "Holly Star" tries to put the "cute" back in Christmas comedy
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: October 29, 2019
Dying to see Linda Hamilton go Old School on the New Terminator.
This abortive effort to sell the 1970s horror classic to movie fans never made it into theaters. It’s arty and horrific, images popping on the screen that play like Friedkin’s thriller’s greatest scariest hits.
The guard is changing for filmmakers we have treated as “brand names” for years. Which is why the director of the indie horror pic, “It Comes at Night,” sort of “The Quiet Place” only Australian and somewhat less creepy, is … Continue reading
What’d the ol’ball coach tell us? All the ol’ball coaches? “Play through the whistle,” he’d say. “Play through ‘The Last Whistle.’” “The Last Whistle” is a lukewarm Texas melodrama that lets your parse that phrase and ethos. Exert yourself to … Continue reading
The writer director announced his comeback with “First Reformed” in 2017. Now, the man who directed “Cat People” and “Light Sleeper” and “Afliction” and scripted “Taxi Driver” has Oscar Isaac to star in this gambling/vengeance drama. Paul Schrader has a … Continue reading
Nothing much happens in “Light from Light,” an East Tennessee character study bathed in mourning cloaked in quiet. The lead characters meet because she’s an amateur ghost hunter, with lifelong intuitions, and he’s a grieving widower who wonders if his … Continue reading