Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Pierce Brosnan is Louis XIV with Kaya Scodelario as "The King's Daughter"
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Netflixable? A Dominatrix is dead? Alyssa Milano's on the case, and "Brazen" about it
- Movie Review: A Car Thief gets more than He Bargained for in that Toyota "4x4"
- Netflixable? A down-and-dirty French farce with "Mommy Issues" -- "Dear Mother"
- Movie Review: "The Matrix Resurrections" should have remained buried
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: October 9, 2019
Never ever should the many ask, “How, if I may ask, did the parents die?” Any more than one asks “What happened to the LAST nanny?” January chills from scary scary kids. Mackenzie Davis is the nanny, Finn Wolfhard and … Continue reading
Anthony Hopkins as scandal-ignoring Anglicized German Pope Benedict, Jonathan Pryce as a most English take on the Argentine Pope Francis. Fernando Meirelles of “City of God” directed this two-hander, which seems to have the polish and the pedigree to be … Continue reading
However cartoonist Charles Addams is remembered, it’s the 1960s TV series based on his work that has real cultural currency. That show, starring Sean Astin’s dad, bug-eyed John Astin, Carolyn Jones and Jackie Coogan, inspired the hilarious 1990s Barry Sonenfeld … Continue reading
The short answer is “No, it’s not ‘Netflixable.’” The novelty of sampling the work of “Nollywood,” Nigeria’s lively film industry, of seeing the rare film (in the West) that looks at the country from an insider’s point of view, wears … Continue reading
The Colorado cut-ups wade into the whole NBA/Winnie the Pooh censorship controversy in China, and take the hit for it from the One Party “Republic.” Tonight at 10, we’ll see what frightens the Winnie the Pooh overlord so very much. … Continue reading
“Furie” is a female Vietnamese “Taken” predicated on the simple premise that you “Never take on a tigress who is defending her cub.” It’s a showcase for Vietnamese actress, model and pretty-convincing martial artist Veronica Ngo (Ngo Van Tranh), who … Continue reading
Movie Preview: Camila Morone is a teen coping with meth-mouth dad James Badge Dale in “Mickey and the Bear”
When the child has to become the adult because of a parent lost in addiction, you get the painful, guilt and rage that such an unnatural reversal brings with it. This film festival favorite is headed into theatrical/VOS release. Keep … Continue reading
If only they hadn’t given away most of the movie in the trailers. If only Ang Lee hadn’t tried to conjure up an action film out of close-ups of indifferent actors — two of them Will Smith. If only the … Continue reading