Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: "#AnneFrank -- Parallel Stories" on Netflix
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Netflixable? Nigerian "Last Flight to Abuja" covers the disaster pic checklist
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? Over-achieving teen takes on "The F**k-It List"
- Movie Review: A comet kills...selectively and "Only"
- Movie Review: "Between Shadow and Soul," a silent remake of "The Third Wife"
- Movie Review: Tech scientist wants to preserve what matters most in the "Archive"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: September 13, 2013
Fandango.com is reporting that ticket pre-sales for “Indious: Chapter 2” are higher than those for any other horror movie this year — and we’ve had films that opened HUGE in that genre (“Conjuring,” $41, “The Purge” in the $30s). So … Continue reading
Broadly speaking, awful movies fall into two categories — awfully bad in a funny way, and awfully bad period. “Approaching Midnight” staggers into the latter category, an excruciatingly dull, badly written, badly-acted vanity project for writer-director-star Sam Logan Khaleghi.A tale … Continue reading
The buzz is “Oscar worthy” on Steve “Shame/Hunger” McQueen’s film of “12 Years a Slave.” And some of that heat is on Chiwetel Ejiofor, a very good actor who gives another breakout performance as a free New Yorker kidnapped and … Continue reading
It happened so recently that this feels “too soon, too quickly.” But Jeremy Lin’s storied revival of the N.Y. Knicks, coming from nowhere, defying NBA expectations in a league where it often seems you have to be huge and black … Continue reading
Well, at least of the summer. Fall film season gets underway Sept. 20, at least as far as major releases go. “Prisoners” and the 3D conversion of “The Wizard of Oz” roll out next week — wide, among other titles. … Continue reading