Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Netflixable? "The Royal Treatment," a haircut with dull scissors
- Movie Review: Nivola is lost in his own head in "Weightless"
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: September 13, 2013
Fandango.com is reporting that ticket pre-sales for “Indious: Chapter 2” are higher than those for any other horror movie this year — and we’ve had films that opened HUGE in that genre (“Conjuring,” $41, “The Purge” in the $30s). So … Continue reading
Broadly speaking, awful movies fall into two categories — awfully bad in a funny way, and awfully bad period. “Approaching Midnight” staggers into the latter category, an excruciatingly dull, badly written, badly-acted vanity project for writer-director-star Sam Logan Khaleghi.A tale … Continue reading
The buzz is “Oscar worthy” on Steve “Shame/Hunger” McQueen’s film of “12 Years a Slave.” And some of that heat is on Chiwetel Ejiofor, a very good actor who gives another breakout performance as a free New Yorker kidnapped and … Continue reading
It happened so recently that this feels “too soon, too quickly.” But Jeremy Lin’s storied revival of the N.Y. Knicks, coming from nowhere, defying NBA expectations in a league where it often seems you have to be huge and black … Continue reading
Well, at least of the summer. Fall film season gets underway Sept. 20, at least as far as major releases go. “Prisoners” and the 3D conversion of “The Wizard of Oz” roll out next week — wide, among other titles. … Continue reading