Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: "#AnneFrank -- Parallel Stories" on Netflix
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Netflixable? Nigerian "Last Flight to Abuja" covers the disaster pic checklist
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? Over-achieving teen takes on "The F**k-It List"
- Movie Review: A comet kills...selectively and "Only"
- Movie Review: "Between Shadow and Soul," a silent remake of "The Third Wife"
- Movie Review: Tech scientist wants to preserve what matters most in the "Archive"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: September 19, 2013
Alexander Payne has become a reliably Oscar-nominatable filmmaker in the years since “Sideways” and “About Schmidt.” “Nebraska”, shot in black and white, with Bruce Dern as a coot who thinks he’s won a $million, Will Forte as his long-suffering son … Continue reading
Finally, that dumping ground between summer blockbusters and fall awards contenders is behind us, the era of “Riddick” and “Getaway” and “Insidious: Chapter 2.” Gone are the days when we think of Josh Peck as “box office.” OK, not quite. … Continue reading
Dance battle movies — “Step Up” and its ilk — have become the musicals of their generation. They may be formulaic in the extreme, generic in their romances and be peopled by character “types.” But they’re athletic extravaganzas celebrating great … Continue reading