Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Netflixable? "Photocopier" reminds us that in Indonesia and elsewhere, the Revolution will not be Televised
- Netflixable? "The Royal Treatment," a haircut with dull scissors
- Movie Review: "Umrika" sadly reminds one of the America the rest of the world used to see
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: June 13, 2019
The major thematic thread that ties all the “Toy Story” movies together is “a toy’s noblest purpose,” to entertain, teach and belong to a child. That fits neatly in the Disney and Disney/Pixar cartoon continuum, that an animated children’s film’s … Continue reading
He likes the way she shops. Something about the items the stranger picks up at the supermarket, the care she seems to take, the fact that she pays with cash convinces Ed to compliment Ronnie. “Strategic,” he says of her … Continue reading
Back in the heyday of “blaxploitation” cinema, the men were men — laws unto themselves, righting social, racial and criminal wrongs with their fists and guns. Women were, well, objects of desire — conquests, helpless in the smouldering gaze of … Continue reading