Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Clint Eastwood's version of the tragedy of "Richard Jewell"
- Movie Review: Let's keep "Black Christmas" in the dark
- Netflixable? Sniper comes home to MMA challenges, "Blackbear"
- Netflixable? "6 Underground," let'em stay there
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? Scorsese's eulogy for "The Irishman"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Netflixable? Is any "Marriage Story" honestly like this?
- Netflixable? French dancers "Step up" for "Let's Dance"
- Netflixable? "Oh, Ramona!" A teen sex comedy from...Romania?
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: June 14, 2018
An Ice Age tale of the “Quest for Fire” style, this family-friendly adventure pic uses plenty of CGI, but a real human and a real tame wolf to show how humanity might have come to embrace Man’s Best Friend. “Alpha” … Continue reading
The word “artisanal” has returned to common use. “Slow food” is totally a thing. Cameras that take pictures on celluloid, music preserved on vinyl discs, “hand-crafted” and “hand-made” are valued now like they haven’t been in years. Might letterpress printing, … Continue reading
Another action pic about an outsider kid who “finds” a mechanical, superintelligent “friend.” This time, it’s a military robot dog “lost” and then found by our young hero. A kids’ movie released just in time to send kids back to … Continue reading
From “Luxo Jr.,” the movie that served as a proof-of-concept for Pixar animation, the animation studio has made its bones on shorts. They’re generally dialogue-free, little marvels of visual CGI animated storytelling — “Geri’s Game,” “Piper,” “For the Birds.” They … Continue reading
It was “love at first sight,” they remember — particularly English period piece kind of love. They’re both ever so prim and proper, a very young couple mimicking the manners ingrained by generations of observing, or in her case, living … Continue reading
First of all, “Tag” was never going to be as riotously funny as the trailers. The tale of an “epic” decades-long game of tag, begun in childhood and taken deep into adulthood, a jaw-dropping true story freely adapted to embrace … Continue reading
There’s a high tone sheen to the new “Superfly,” a gloss of drug-trade affluence that we haven’t seen in a movie since “Scarface.” Designer clothes, fur-trimmed pimpwear, mansions, supercars. exotic firearms and elaborate hairstyles highlight a remake that’s a shiny … Continue reading