Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: A "Disappearance at Clifton Hill" leads to a lifelong obsession
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Movie Review: What might be out there in "The Vast of Night?"
- Netflixable? Finding the girl "Perdida" (Lost) in Patagonia
- Bingeworthy? Ill-conceived "Space Force" is a mission that should have been aborted
- Movie Review: Let's head down the rabbit hole of "The Mandela Effect"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? Survivalism's last stand hinges on "The Reliant"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: June 4, 2018
Preview, Awright awright awright, Matthew McConaughey raises “White Boy Rick” in Detroit at the birth of the crack epidemic
Richie Merritt might be the star, but Matthew M. is the patriarch, Bruce Dern and Piper Laurie raised him — not well, apparently — in this tail-end of disco tale of hustling your way to the top of the Drug … Continue reading
The tale reads like some far-fetched concoction of Hollywood’s Golden Age, based on a potboiler by W. Somerset Maugham. A couple of misanthropic Germans abandon their marriages and flee to a desert isle for lives of “quiet contemplation.” But … Continue reading
It’s a remake of a little-seen “cult” 1977 horror film by Dario Argento and starring Jessica Harper. Tilda Swinton is the artistic director, Dakota Johnson her star dancer and Chloe Grace Moretz is also in this November Luca Guadagnino film. The weirdest … Continue reading
Steve McQueen is years-removed from “Twelve Years A Slave,” and his latest has less of a social justice subtext than a gender parity one. Liam Neeson and Jon Bernthal are among the husbands whose big money heist goes terribly wrong. … Continue reading
British martial arts star Scott Adkins ventures into “Get Shorty” territory with “The Debt Collector,” a brute brawler of a B-movie, but a bloody-minded bore. He plays “Frenchy,” owner of a “traditional” martial arts dojo that has him deep in … Continue reading