Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: "My Darling Vivian" knew how to "Walk the Line"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Movie Review: Jolie is the you-know-what weight in "Those Who Wish Me Dead"
- Movie Review: "First Signal" ruins that moment when the aliens "phone home"
- Movie Review: An Orphan discovers what it means to be "The Devil's Child"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Movie Review: Strangers, thrown together -- "Getting to Know You"
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Preview, Burglar interrupts suicide, "romance" ensues in "Breaking & Exiting"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: June 23, 2018
The dancer and title character is nude, contorting, lithe and athletic when we meet her, bending her body in intense, jerky and breathless movement. “Bobbi Jene” is Bobbi Jene Smith, an Iowan who jumped from Juilliard into one of the … Continue reading
Folks behind “The In-Betweeners” rounded up fresh (ish) faces for this riff on what going to Bonnaroo, Coachella or Glastonbury is “really” like. Jemaine Clement and Nick Frost play the adults here, so make of that what you will.
The Skate Kitchen are the proud, mouthy young skateboarding women who ignore “Promise me, no more skating,” and Jaden Smith is the photographer interested in their vibe in this Sundance phenom from the people who made the doc “The Wolfpack.” … Continue reading
Book Review: “The Mirage Factory” zeroes in on the three people who “made” LA and the Hollywood Dream
I’ve read a bit about LA’s infamous victory in “The Water Wars” that ensured this parched pueblo would become the megalopolis it is. And of course, I’ve seen “Chinatown” countless times. And I’ve read and watched documentaries about D.W. Griffith, … Continue reading
These of the days of “Jimmy Crack Corn, and I Don’t Care” at the movies. Studios release middling, juvenile but big and brawny blockbusters, and the critics don’t care. The movies may stupid money, and the studios don’t care about … Continue reading