Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: "#AnneFrank -- Parallel Stories" on Netflix
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Netflixable? Nigerian "Last Flight to Abuja" covers the disaster pic checklist
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? Over-achieving teen takes on "The F**k-It List"
- Movie Review: A comet kills...selectively and "Only"
- Movie Review: "Between Shadow and Soul," a silent remake of "The Third Wife"
- Streamable? Disney+ visits "Hamilton" on the stage
- Movie Review: Tech scientist wants to preserve what matters most in the "Archive"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: June 27, 2018
Netflixable? Michelle Williams, Kristin Scott Thomas, Margot Robbie, Ruth Wilson and Matthias Schoenaerts in “Suite Francaise”
It’s a common failing of films adapted from beloved books. The fervent desire to be “faithful” to the work leads to fear that you’ll leave something important out. The resulting film feels truncated, abridged. Time simply runs out. That’s the … Continue reading
Sometimes, even your most attentive parenting isn’t enough. “Beautiful Boy” is based on David Sheff’s memoir about “losing” his son to addiction, and trying to find him and get him back. As the memoir was co-written by that son, the … Continue reading
“Wild Oats” begins with a funeral. “So brave…”He’s in a better place.” “This is the nicest pot-luck wake I’ve ever been to.” “I’m sorry for your loss. And I just LOVE your house.” Eva (Shirley MacLaine) is burying her husband, … Continue reading
She manages one of those “sports” bars whose real selling point is what the too-willing-to-be-objectified waitresses wear. And being a woman of optimism, faith and a sense of sisterhood, that’s not easy. Regina Hall stars in “Support the Girls,” a … Continue reading
Cute and cuddly as a Shaq Bear, and about as competitive as the past couple of NBA seasons have been, “Uncle Drew” is a kid-friendly b-ball fantasy, “Space Jam” without the space or the Looney Tunes. It’s a feature-length comedy … Continue reading