Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Disney's "Raya and the Last Dragon" animates an Asia of myth
- Preview, Burglar interrupts suicide, "romance" ensues in "Breaking & Exiting"
- Netflixable? "Crazy About Her (Loco por ella)"
- Movie Review: An unhappy Silverstone is "Sister of the Groom"
- Movie Review: Kathie Lee and Craig, together again, "Then Came You"
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Movie Review: Another Autistic Child is Haunted -- "Noise in the Middle"
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Documentary Review: A Great Writer writes and remembers -- "The War and Peace of Tim O'Brien"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: August 11, 2020
This one streams Aug. 25. Looks compelling — mental disorders among scientists and gamblers aren’t rare — and maybe annoying. “Dude, get up from the poker table and CURE this already.”
What an odd duck of a doc “Big Fur” is. But that just means director Dan Wayne has gotten damned close to his subject. Alberta, Canada taxidermist, Roy Orbison impersonator and Bigfoot believer Ken Walker is a veritable rural Renaissance … Continue reading
A Netflix series about the first mission to Mars, with a multinational crew, perilous obstacles and the cost to those back home. Josh Charles also stars in this Sept. 4 Netflix release.
A throwback B-movie about Tommies trying to make it to the evac zone, where Kenneth Branagh, the Royal Navy and “The Little Ships” could whisk them to safety. Look for “Behind the Line: Escape to Dunkirk” Aug. 17.
“The Pool” is terror at its most primal, a simple Thai thriller that’s complex in its simplicity. The situation? A guy finds himself trapped in a deep, now-drained and abandoned Olympic sized swimming pool. There is no ladder to … Continue reading
I hadn’t seen the low-budget black and white “original” “The Fast and the Furious” since catching it in a college film society way back when. And eight movies into the Vin Diesel franchise — with “F9” pushed back to next … Continue reading
Imagine “Ghost” without the potter’s wheel, no Demi-Patrick heat — no Whoopi and no “whoopie.” That’s “Endless,” a teen romance about love that endures past an untimely death, an entirely tepid affair, thanks to a romance that is more photogenic … Continue reading