Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Clint Eastwood's version of the tragedy of "Richard Jewell"
- Netflixable? Sniper comes home to MMA challenges, "Blackbear"
- Movie Review: Let's keep "Black Christmas" in the dark
- Netflixable? "6 Underground," let'em stay there
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? Scorsese's eulogy for "The Irishman"
- Netflixable? Is any "Marriage Story" honestly like this?
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Documentary Review: "Junkie Hunters" fight the drug scourge, one addict at a time, and the greedy Rehab Industry in "American Relapse"
- Netflixable? French dancers "Step up" for "Let's Dance"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 31, 2019
Preview, “Queen & Slim” shows a date that turns into a police stop — then a manhunt (and woman) hunt
This has the feel of a “Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry” on-the-lam hunted by cops tale with a powerful racial profiling component. “The Hate U Give” as a road picture, “Thelma & Louise” with an African American couple. And yes, it … Continue reading
We met him on the evening news, or if we were particularly unlucky, on the Internet. A hooded terrorist with a dispassionate London accent, and a very long knife — introducing hostages to the world, getting out his ISIS message. … Continue reading
“Perception” is a supernatural mystery/thriller that plays it too safe for its own good. Mild-mannered, slow of foot and a picture that keeps the stakes low even as its trying to raise them, it all but invites brainstormed suggestions of … Continue reading
There is no “final draft” of films any more. Let’s back engineer it to make it go with the sequel we’re releasing. Chapter One will now slot into and set up Chapter Two. https://t.co/f7mA7GXhbW https://twitter.com/EW/status/1156606163095629825?s=17
“Hobbs & Shaw” is an action comedy that pulls out ALL the stops. And then some. It flollops along, cheerfully riding on the sparkling chemistry between its leads, a well-cast villain who is the epitome of “heavy,” impressive fight choreography … Continue reading
Co-stars in this film about a hitman who might have been involved in taking out Jimmy Hoffa include Anna Paquin, Harvey Keitel, Bobby Cannavale and Ray Romano? “The Irishman” feels a little “old men playing young toughs,” but maybe the … Continue reading
Let’s start with a couple of givens. Any time I channel surf by “Jackie Brown” I stop. It is Tarantino’s best film. I enjoyed the suspenseful interrogations of “Basterds,” and little else, the minimalism and edge of Reservoir Dogs.” Hated … Continue reading