Top Posts & Pages
- Concert Doc Review -- "Dave Chapelle: The Closer"
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Netflixable? Dutch, Germans, Brits and Canadians live through "The Forgotten Battle"
- Movie Review: Canadian College kids discover the horrors of "Halloween Party"
- Movie Review: Bullying's not a joke to a High School "Runt"
- Netflixable? Cop digs into gay murders in 1980s Poland, and a cover-up -- "Operation Hyacinth"
- Movie Review: If only they'd remembered Harvey Keitel is "Lansky"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 24, 2019
The set-up is “love triangle” simple — two testosterony guys and a woman who comes between them, trapped on a boat in the middle of the sea. Roman Polanski launched his career with that scenario, the 1962 classic “Knife in … Continue reading
There’s a nasty musical joke that runs through “The Mountain,” Rick Alverson’s morose tale of The Last Lobotomy Doctor and his newly-hired photographer, driver and wingman. Andy, played by Tye Sheridan with a single facial expression, from start to finish, … Continue reading
Sorry to hear of the death, this AM, of the great Dutch character actor Rutger Hauer. From “Soldier of Orange” onward, I was a fan. “Blade Runner,” lots of great character roles over the years. He was 75, a fanboy … Continue reading
A father tries to protect his son from the viral apocalypse, and social breakdown that follows. Riveting trailer in the tradition of “The Road.” This one earns limited release on Aug. 9.
Movie Review — “Leo Da Vinci: Mission Mona Lisa” is a cartoon “Creation” about the Great Master’s Youth
A movie about the young, curious and already-inventive Leonardo Da Vinci? That’s not a bad idea for a work of children’s entertainment. But “Leo Da Vinci: Mission Mona Lisa” is a seriously undemanding if harmless realization of that movie pitch. … Continue reading
Last week, it was Netflix slowing its “growth” in subscribers as NBC and others yanked hit shows off the streaming service. Direct TV Tuesday said that it lost 168,000 subscribers. Now HBO reports “lower domestic linear subscribers” for its second … Continue reading
It’s a Sino-Russian or Russo-Chinese action fantasy with a Russian director, two aged stars and a long, unweildy title — “The Mystery of he Dragon Seal: Journey to China.” Filmed and finished two years ago, so you know it’s fresh. … Continue reading