Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Pierce Brosnan is Louis XIV with Kaya Scodelario as "The King's Daughter"
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Netflixable? A Dominatrix is dead? Alyssa Milano's on the case, and "Brazen" about it
- Movie Review: A Car Thief gets more than He Bargained for in that Toyota "4x4"
- Netflixable? A down-and-dirty French farce with "Mommy Issues" -- "Dear Mother"
- Movie Review: "The Matrix Resurrections" should have remained buried
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: May 2, 2019
Love that Gurinder Chadha. The director of “Bend it Like Beckham” got the rights to some pretty good music for this version of a true story. Damn.
The New York Times says publishing houses have finally taken the Farrow family side about Woody Allen’s alleged child abise. And so it ends. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/movies/woody-allen-memoir.amp.html
Since time immemorial, this truism has ostensibly marked the difference between TeeVee and movies. Television, even “It’s not television, it’s HBO,” is a close-up medium, more about intimacy, “neck-up acting” than film, which even in the HD-bigger screen era, still … Continue reading
Here’s a mob comedy as patchwork as its title –– “79 Parts.” It’s a pieced-together period piece stuffed with characters, with multiple narrators and story threads, a “ticking clock” deadline or two that no one remembers and a hodgepodge of … Continue reading
There’s a squishy wistfulness that hangs over “Tell It to the Bees,” a same sex romance set in small town Scotland in the 1950s. Flashes of magical realism gently but gratingly clash with drab melodrama. Winning performances by leads Anna … Continue reading
Kaya Scoledario and Barry Pepper star in this thriller, which captures two of the great menaces to Florida in one movie. Sam Raimi produced it. This creeper “Crawl” opens July 12.
The warning signs are there. “Uglydolls” is an animated film from a studio start-up with no history in the medium. The financing is mostly Chinese, with “The Chinese Amazon.com,” Alibaba, in a lead role. Why does that matter? Who does … Continue reading
Veteran character actor Aldis Hodge has the title role, that of an aspiring football star arrested and unjustly convicted, losing his dream and a good chunk of his life to “a broken system.” Freeman is an inmate who gives him … Continue reading
So funny. So cute. So very Canadian. Pikachu uses… Foot Massage? “Detective Pokemon Character” opens May 10. https://youtu.be/bo1YKTvM2Uc