Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Idris Elba shoots, and sings in "The Take"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Netflixable? "The Paramedic (El practicante) " is no Angel of Mercy
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Documentary Review: Ten Years After high school, who remains "Most Likely to Succeed?"
- Movie Review: Israeli melodrama "Broken Mirrors" takes guilt to its generational extremes
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Movie Review: Time traveling to save Jesus, or shoot him? "Assassin 33 A.D."
- Documentary Review: Addicted to devices, our health and our democracy imperiled -- "The Social Dilemma"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: November 5, 2018
I remember like it was only this afternoon — which it was — that moment when the well-cast, realistic and sometimes moving mom’s-got-dementia drama, “What They Had,” goes straight off the rails. It comes after daughter Bridget (Hilary Swank) has … Continue reading
It’s not the editor, but the editing strategy that undermines “Beautiful Boy.” This sensitive retelling of the true story of journalist David Sheff and his son Nic, a drug addict whose crystal meth mania became two books — one written … Continue reading
“The Nursery Man” is a period piece about a house haunted by somebody glimpsed by the grownups, but whom the children have every reason to fear. So no, we’re not going to be disappointed that this isn’t garden variety horror, … Continue reading
Sure, it’s got food. Lots of it. It’s postcard pretty rural Italy, after all. Even homophobes have to eat. Seems dated, by US standards. But “coming out” in Catholic-Berlusconi Italy was always going to be dicy. “My Big Gay Italian … Continue reading
Documentary Review — “The Reckoning: Hollywood’s Worst-Kept Secret” has to be about Weinstein, right?
Here’s how open “Hollywood’s Worst-Kept Secret” was. Earlier in my career working for newspapers in Tennessee, North Carolina and Florida, I’d hit several film festivals a year, including New York. I’d do junket weekends, chatting up the stars of this … Continue reading