Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: A blood feud, a buried "sister" and sacrificial hand binds "The Accursed"
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Movie Review -- "Trevor: The Musical," a Pride Month period piece comes to Disney+
- Netflixable? Even sunny "Toscana" can't save this maudlin Danish Food-and-Daddy-Issues Romance
- Netflixable? "RRR," an Action Bromance that Pulls out all the Bollywood Stops
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Documentary Review: Netflix's "One of Us" exposes the horrors of escaping Hasidism
- Movie Review: A Ukrainian combat thriller, "Sniper: The White Raven"
- Netflixable? South Africa's version of "Crash" is titled "Collision"
- BOX OFFICE: And the winner is? "Marcel the Shell with Shoes On?"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: April 2018
“Well, as Bertrand Russell said, ‘people in a democracy tend to think they have less to fear from a stupid man than an intelligent one.’ Actually, it’s the other way around. It’s the stupid man.” — Henry Fonda as presidential … Continue reading
A pro-wrestling comedy co-produced with WWE and starring Dwayne Johnson, as he was in his PREVIOUS life? The Rock’s little comic tirade here is one of the funniest speeches he’s ever put on screen. And he’s been funny, a LOT, … Continue reading
That’s the only funny thing about James Franco’s Jones for too young if not under-age women and girls. He works so much, compulsively some would say, that when his reputation blew up last Oscar season, there were films in the … Continue reading
Box Office: Did “Avengers: Infinity War” hit $45 million Thursday night? Not headed for “The Record”
That’s what Deadline.com is reporting, based on its earliest projections. It could be off, as they had not updated the Thursday night preview take from the West Coast. But “Infinity War” opened to $38 million or so overseas, and appeared … Continue reading
Preview, “Woman Walks Ahead” tells a true story of a painter who travels to Paint the Great Indian chiefs
Jessica Chastain, Michael Greyeyes, Ciaran Hinds and Oscar winner Sam Rockwell star in this A24 (shorthand for GOOD FILM) culture clash/fish-out-of-water story of a painter, Catherine Weldon, who ventured West to capture the last great chiefs of the plains before … Continue reading
There’s an eye-opening line in “Avengers: Infinity War” in which a character is asked who his “Master” is, and he cracks something about “You expecting me to say ‘Jesus?’” or some such. Cannot find the exact quote in my notes, … Continue reading
Looks good. Casting a top flight actor can help. Not a guy known for his light touch, but “Venom” won’t require much of that. This is the first teaser to the October release, co-starring Oscar winner Michelle Williams. Ruben Fleischer … Continue reading
Ordinary rules of drama don’t apply in the Marvel Universe, so expecting “Avengers: Infinity War” to build suspense, reach a climax and deliver some sort of conclusion is just…unreasonable. There is no closure with this Neverending Story, because if Disney … Continue reading
Yeah, the title is kind of nonsensical-agrammatical. “Infinite War?” “Finite War?” No. I call “INFINITY WAR.” The gang’s all here, and then some. The Marvels of Marvel, Avengers, Guardians, with Wakanda to the Wescue. “Captain America” sequels directors Anthony and … Continue reading
The LA Riots burst around the principals of “Kings.” Franco-Turkish director Deniz Gamze Ergüven paints this signal event in modern American history in quick, impressionistic strokes. The camera jumps and jerks from vandalism and arson to an embattled LAPD, literally circling … Continue reading