Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Movie Review: A blood feud, a buried "sister" and sacrificial hand binds "The Accursed"
- Netflixable? Even sunny "Toscana" can't save this maudlin Danish Food-and-Daddy-Issues Romance
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Netflixable? South Africa's version of "Crash" is titled "Collision"
- Documentary Review: Netflix's "One of Us" exposes the horrors of escaping Hasidism
- Movie Review -- "Trevor: The Musical," a Pride Month period piece comes to Disney+
- Netflixable? A kidnapping, a kidnapper lost "In the Shadow of Iris"
- Movie Review: Giant Crawly bug menaces "The Arbors"
- BOX OFFICE: And the winner is? "Marcel the Shell with Shoes On?"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: April 20, 2018
The chilling isolation of stardom is the stark take-away from “Gemini,” a smart and knowing film noir set in LaLaland. Get famous enough, and you’re trapped. Every public appearance is fraught, every social exchange has you questioning motives. Want somebody … Continue reading
Even the best thrillers allow or invite the viewer to get a step or two ahead, to anticipate what’s coming next, or what might come. The script usually reveals its mysteries by relying on melodramatic tropes or cliches of the … Continue reading
Over at Box Office Mojo, they’re calling it “Quiet Place” over $21, “Rampage” falling into upper teens and “I Feel Pretty” $15, “Super Troopers 2” $6, “Traffik,” a Paula Patton/Omar Epps thriller, $3.5. Maybe that crowd-funded “Troopers” sequel won’t pay … Continue reading
Just a teaser, has a touch of Tyler Perry with an all-Asian cast. Gloss and aspirational consumption (check out the cars). Not a laugh in the teaser, but the target audience is underserved, under-represented and HUGE. Maybe it’ll work out. … Continue reading
One way to elevate the stoner comedy — And who asked for that? — might be to cast against type. Thus “Dude,” an L.A. high school stoner romp about four BFFs coping with senior year, prom, college plans, singing along … Continue reading
“The Incredible Jessica James” is the very definition of “Netflixable.” It’s movie of undeniable charms, some witty moments and nice chemistry between its stars. But it’s got too little to it to warrant traveling to a cinema and buying a … Continue reading