Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? "The Noel Diary" barely breaks the Hallmark Holiday Formula
- Movie Review: Fraser shines in capturing a life beached and foundering -- "The Whale"
- Netflixable? A Polish cop turns undercover teacher with a two-fisted "Lesson Plan"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Movie Review: Horses and Snow and Gunslingers So Slow -- "The Desperate Riders"
- Movie Review: Daughter's Mad for Madden, and saving Dad's NFL career in "Fantasy Football"
- Netflixable? A New, Animated Musical -- "Scrooge: A Christmas Carol"
- Netflixable? Norwegians awaken a "Troll" -- and find out
- Movie Review: Disney gets lost in the animated doldrums in "Strange World"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: April 3, 2018
Of all the lies the movies sell us over and over again, the myth of “total recall” — flashbacks, interrogations, reminiscences — may be the most pernicious. “Memory,” as the star of of “Memento,” Guy Pearce, says in “Spinning Man,” … Continue reading
He’s a drop out who mastered the art of closing the sale, but who needs to start over in order to get a gig on Wall Street, where salesmen and women are masters of the universe. She’s a teacher collecting … Continue reading
Netflixable? “Beer, Pizza and Smokes” is an Argentine underbelly drama that feels timeless, and ahead of its time
It’s not over-selling the gritty Argentine crime drama “Beer, Pizza and Smokes” to suggest it has hints of Truffaut’s classic “The 400 Blows” about it. Or “Dead End Kids,” “Kids” or “Rebel Without a Cause.” There’s an underworld that … Continue reading
“Una” lives in the house where she grew up, cares for her sickly mother and endures the lingering stares of the neighbors. By night she prowls nightclubs in search of brusque, anonymous sex with strangers. At dawn she comes home, … Continue reading