Top Posts & Pages
- Series Review: A very different trip to "The Mosquito Coast"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Movie Review: An unhappy Silverstone is "Sister of the Groom"
- "Save Ralph" aims to turn the tide against animal testing -- with Taika Waititi, Ricky Gervais and Olivia Munn and animation
- Movie Review: Here's how they Screwed Up "Papillon"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: Another student-teacher affair, this one "Before the Dawn"
- Series Review: "Frank of Ireland" indulges the Gleeson Brothers
- Movie Review: "At Night Comes Wolves"
- Netflixable? Sad, scenic "Keeping the Bees" shows a Turkey we never see in the movies
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: August 2, 2013
Paul Schrader calls on his background as a one-time film critic and film scholar when he talks of the travails of his latest film, “The Canyons.” At 67, the screenwriter of “Taxi Driver” and “The Last Temptation of Christ” and … Continue reading
She was, in my opinion, the best Oscar host(ess) in recent memory. The Quincy Jones/Whoopie Goldberg year is my gold standard of the past 20 years, but Ellen worked the crowd, got stars and Steven Spielberg to go on mike, … Continue reading
“After ‘The Descendants,’” says filmmaker James Ponsoldt (“The Spectacular Now”), “about the best thing a director could hope to hear is that ‘Shailene Woodley is interested in your movie,’ or loves the book it was based on.” The 21 year-old … Continue reading
Mark Wahlberg brought his “Contraband” director in for this buddy picture/action comedy. Do Denzel and Mark W. have what it takes to cook up a box office hit? Reviewers aren’t exactly swooning over it. (58% on Rottentomatoes). The Box Office … Continue reading
As you can tell from the photo, in casting “Jobs,” the filmmakers found actors pretty darned close, in appearance to the real life Apple braintrust Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Josh Gad plays the Woz, the soldering savant and hardware … Continue reading
I’ll use the arbitrated and agreed on title for Lee Daniels’ film about a servant (Forest Whitaker) who serves under a string of presidents at the White House and sees the vast changes in America with respect to race over … Continue reading
It’s Friday AM, time for me to prep for a chat with Mike Bianchi, Brandon Kravitz and the team over at 740 The Game on the “Open Mike” radio show. We’ll talk chemistry as it regards the Denzel/Mark Wahlberg action … Continue reading