Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: "#AnneFrank -- Parallel Stories" on Netflix
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Netflixable? Nigerian "Last Flight to Abuja" covers the disaster pic checklist
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? Over-achieving teen takes on "The F**k-It List"
- Movie Review: A comet kills...selectively and "Only"
- Movie Review: "Between Shadow and Soul," a silent remake of "The Third Wife"
- Movie Review: Tech scientist wants to preserve what matters most in the "Archive"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: April 12, 2013
“True Grit’s” Hailee Steinfeld is the Juliet here. Douglas Booth is her Romeo. Note that this trailer to the Julian Fellowes adaptation lets our girl ride — a horse — and well. Paul Giamatti makes a promising Friar Lawrence. It … Continue reading
Here’s a distressing memory that I really must thanks Box Office Mojo for dredging up. “Scary Movie 4,” which came out seven years ago, earned a staggering $40 million on its opening weekend. Wow. Does that correlate to how “Scary … Continue reading
“Scary Movie 5” comes up short in every way imaginable. It’s only 80 minutes long. These “Scary Movie/Disaster Movie/Epic Movie/A Haunted House” pictures always manage to be the briefest encounters in theaters. Not that “brevity is the soul of wit,” … Continue reading
Is it the violence, the torture, the nudity, that had Chinese authorities pull “Django Unchained” off their release slate Thursday, just as it was about to open (after being edited down by Tarantino)? Or was something more sinister at work? … Continue reading