Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Idris Elba shoots, and sings in "The Take"
- Movie Review: The plugged-in future's end game -- "LX 2048"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Netflixable? "Wish Upon a Unicorn" if you believe, kids!
- Documentary Review: Ten Years After high school, who remains "Most Likely to Succeed?"
- Netflixable? Is anybody home at "House of the Witch?"
- Netflixable? "The Paramedic (El practicante) " is no Angel of Mercy
- For the last time, Idris Elba sings
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: February 7, 2013
She’s got this adventurous new espionage series “The Americans” on FX, and a buzzed-about horror film, “Dark Skies,” opening later this month. Hoping it’s the next “Insidious” — family, dealing with supernatural goings on. Keri Russell has moved on from … Continue reading
Here are 12 clever minutes, currently making the rounds of movie blogs, of a “shock” that no longer shocks — that Keatonesque “The car/train/whatever missed him/her. But the BUS/train/car hits him or her the moment we relax on our hero … Continue reading
Repetitious, tedious, and pretty much joyless, “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” strains to reboot what was up until now a generally fun and always profitable cinematic enterprise. It’s a competent, energetic action romp, played with as much vigor … Continue reading
It used to be a rite of passage for any actor — doing a war movie. And World War II movies have filled the bill in that regard since John Wayne was dodging the draft. Rupert Grint is a member … Continue reading
As I said, I think, in my review of the very fine “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy,” when it comes to spy fiction, there’s John Le Carre, and then there’s everybody else. He’s the best, by such a wide margin that … Continue reading
Oscars: Who will be on stage? Figure some James Bonds, and Daniel Radcliffe, Charlize, Channing Tatum
We’ve known there was some sort of James Bond tribute headed for Oscar night. The early money says Sean Connery won’t show, but some other Bonds? Bet on it. And the Academy is rolling out Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Charlize Theron, Channing … Continue reading
“Oooh, honey, less is more,” the flamboyant hair stylist whispers, out of earshot, at Diane (Melissa McCarthy) as she bombs her head with hairspray and trowels on the eye shadow. That’s never the case with McCarthy, the bawdy, rude, larger-than-life … Continue reading
It’s Thursday, and we’ll talk a little about why Steven Soderbergh has no business retiring from directing — “Side Effects” being his latest effort. Not a masterpiece, but he is consistently quite good, and there aren’t many others in Hollywood … Continue reading